Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have constant constipation. have prostate cancer,

Customer Question
I have constant constipation...

I have constant constipation. have prostate cancer, currently under control, but have been on meds for over 23 years. I came down with shingles on my face in April and more meds. I took all of the shingles meds and I am still on steroids since I am unable to open my right eye . I am 80 yr old and have always been regular going at least 2 or 3 times a day. I am miserable and need an ans. I have taken Miralax, Metamucil, milk and black strap molasses and as a last resort I use fleet enema.

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed the steroid? How severe were any side effects?

I was prescribed the steroids April, 29, 2018 really had no side effects with it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about shingles?

Yes, I was in the hosp for 5 dayson IV

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just as I stated in my question, prostate cancer, I also had a brain injury in 2016 due to overdose of meds from my ca doctor. I blacked out and hit my head on concrete floor.

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Medical
7/11/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 days ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Since when is constipation?

What are the investigations done for it?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
since end of april when I got the shingles
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
sorry my phone is not working

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Steroids may be the culprit for your constipation. So once it is tapered off and stopped, it is likely to improve.

Following measures can be helpful, meanwhile;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benefiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," have been found to have good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes next half hour of meal, for toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenylmethanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein).

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy breads, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Food which causes constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies, and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pasta

Junk food or fast food

Banana.

Your doctor can also prescribe you;

a) Lubiprostone

b) Linaclotide

If these measures are unable to help, you may discuss these investigations with your doctor:

1) Barium enema or barium meal with follow through study

2) Colonic transit time; it can provide a better understanding of the rate of stool movement through the colon.

3) Other investigations like Anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion test, Defecography etc.

4) Colonoscopy / sigmoidoscopy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.