Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I ate a hamburger that had been in the refrigerator from a…

I ate a hamburger that...
I ate a hamburger that had been in the refrigerator from a day from being a week old and as soon as I ate it I had instant stomach pain and diarrhea. Then a few hours later I started to feel nauseas and I still do just a little. Anyways I forced myself to throw up and now I feel a little light headed. What could this be? I’m a 23 year old female
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I threw up a little food but it was mostly clear looking mucus or stomach acid
7/11/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question​.

It sounds like you have contracted a mild case of food poisoning. The hamburger was apparently too old to be consumed. Food poisoning, in most cases is not serious and will pass with time. It's important that you sip fluids in order to maintain your hydration. If you notice high fevers, blood in the vomit, or severe abdominal pain, please make sure to be seen by doctor. The lightheadedness can sometimes happen during vomiting because of the pressure that builds up in the head while retching.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
If it’s blood in the vomit what could that mean? And I literally had to force myself to vomit because of how I was feeling

Blood in the vomit indicates that the blood vessels lining the esophagus and the stomach have began to bleed because of recurrent vomiting. This can cause a person to lose lots of blood if the bleeding persists. As such, a person with blood in the vomit should be seen by doctor.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I didn’t see any blood but when I was clearing my throat to get the mucus up there was a little blood in that

That's not concerning. As long as you don't have any blood within the vomit.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I saw this right after I threw up. Idk what the red spots on my tonsils are. Could it be throat cancer?

It looks normal. no signs of cancer.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
What are the red spots though because it’s all through the pockets on my tonsils and like under them too

They are called tonsillar cryps and are normal.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
What could I do to help those red looking bumps go away ? I had to stick my finger down my throat to force myself to vomit

Don't force yourself to vomit again. Then they will heal with time.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Okay and would it be okay if I ate solid food

Yes, solid food is ok. Its best to eat bland foods (i.e. bananas, rice, apples, soup, breads, crackers, etc), and avoid spicy, fried, salty, or acidic foods until you feel better.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Okay, thank you so much!

You're welcome. I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I’m helping babysit my nephews and it’s like all the loud noise from their toys and tv are really bothering me. What could this be because everything feels overwhelming? And I keep yawning like crazy. And also while I was at the store, I broke out into a cold sweat and I feel really anxious. Also I do have a little neck pain and side pain when I cough and sniffle. Could this all be coming from all the vomiting I did yesterday?