Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 78 yrs my bones are paper thin what can I take to

I am 78 yrs...

I am 78 yrs my bones are paper thin what can I take to increase bone density. I need back surgery doctor said I probably could not survive due to age and bone density

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any recent physical or emotional illnesses? What medicines (prescription, homeopathic or over-the-counter) have you taken recently?

The passing of my husband of 43 yrs and moving from 1 state to another within a yr i have been taking thyroid for approx 4 yr just got report thyroid is normal I take usually 3 tyenol per day for pinch nerve in back that effects my legs

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I have no swelling just the pain from back down hip to leg walking for more than a block I have to sit or lay down

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No serious health issues do have hital hernia and the back issue

6/29/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually weak bones can certainly lead to severe issues in your age group, the pain that you are experiencing in your lower back can also be a consequence of the weak bones. In very weak bones, the spinal column bones can collapse on themselves due to the weight (and the brittleness of the bones) which can lead to the development of a compression fracture of one of the bones. In these situations sometimes there can be compression of the spinal cord or of the nerves leaving the cord, this, in turn, can cause the pain which radiates down from the hip into the leg. This is why I think an x-ray of the lower back should be done as soon as possible. Secondly, the pain can also be due to development of arthritis in the lower back or even due to a disc prolapse in the region. All of these things can cause the pain that you are experiencing. An x-ray and an MRI of the region followed by physiotherapy or injections into the region would be helpful in controlling the pain.

regarding the weak bones, right now you can start using OTC calcium and vitamin D supplements. You can use an OTC calcium supplement like Cac-1000 once a day along with any vitamin D supplement which contains 100-400 IU once a day. But at the same time, you should be evaluated for osteoporosis which is a condition which can rapidly cause the bones to deteriorate. In osteoporosis, you would need to be treated not only with calcium and vitamin D but also medications like zoledronate or aldrenonate or pamidronate. All of these drugs can strengthen the bones.

This is why I think you should contact an internal medicine specialist and get evaluated for osteoporosis but in the meantime start using the calcium and vitamin D supplements.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali