Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had to take prednisone for a back injury. During the 12…

Customer Question
I had to take...

I had to take prednisone for a back injury. During the 12 days of taking the medicine my fasting blood sugar dropped to below 120, as low as 98. Without it my fasting bs levels are around 175. My endocrinologist says this isn't possible. I asked my family doct. to do an experiment. He put me on 10 mg of prednisone for 10 days. My ave. fasting bs levels dropped by 20 pts. Is my endo, correct, this isn't possible? It seems to me there has to be a correlation.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

OK, although I am on a lot of different meds. Arthritis, diabetes, prostate, afib and prilosec and I use a CPAP.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I currently exercise 3 times a week a combo of cardio and weight. The CPAP has been totally successful, I have to use provigil to help get through some days.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
6/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 1 month ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Are you saying that while on the steroids -- your blood sugar ran lower the whole time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fasting blood sugar, first thing in the morning. Instead of normal 175 range, got 98 - 120 during the subsequent 12 days of taking steroids

OK, thanks.

I agree with your endocrinologist -- something is not quite right.

Steroids cause your blood glucose to go up -- not down. Perhaps there is another issue also playing a role here (did you eat less while taking steroids? less sugary or starchy foods?)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had the same diet as before. I also take prilosec and have been for years. I am concerned that the prolosec may be causing damage. Interstitial Niphritis, What if the prednisone helped the kidney uptake the normal diabetes medication that really hasn't ever brought my reading down?

Well, certainly the steroids help with inflammation, so if it is reducing inflammation in an organ that then helps to control your blood sugar better than normal -- I guess that would be an explanation.

But what exactly is the prednisone affecting is the big question, and just like your endocrinologist -- I don't know. The kidney is excreting the drugs, so it really has nothing to do with the "uptake" of the medication -- that is happening in your stomach and bowels.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been diagnosed with IBS for years. I have a lot less incidents in the past 10 years, but when younger it was a real issue. I also had issues about a year ago with blood in my urine. A urologist said I had an inflamed prostate and but me on medication for it. My endocrinologist just put me on Invokana. Waiting to see how this does with my Fasting BS readings.

I think the new medication should help with the blood sugar control.

Just not quite sure how to explain the steroids though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I am going to work with my endocrinologist and see how it goes. The Invokana does make me nauseous, and it also is causing giving me diarrhea, which seems unusual.