Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a St. Judes Pacemaker, it was installed in 2011.

I have a St...

I have a St. Judes Pacemaker, it was installed in 2011. Today it vibrated 2 times in a row, I would like to know what causes this, I feel perfectly fine.

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

It's just at the site of the pacemaker it buzzed for about 3 seconds or so, quit and did it again.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

I've tried to call my doctors office and had to leave a message, I just hopped online to find some sort of cause as to why.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, no changes at all.

6/28/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry that you have experienced vibration from your ICD/pacemaker. Fortunately, this is considered a normal alert that is triggered based upon the specific programming of your device. The cardiologist who implanted the device will have programmed it to vibrate under certain conditions. The vibration does not indicate a heart abnormality, nor that the device is malfunctioning.

Please see the information at this link, for further information:

https://www.sjm.com/en/patients/arrhythmias/living-with-your-treatment/understanding-the-patient-notifier?clset=af584191-45c9-4201-8740-5409f4cf8bdd%3ab20716c1-c2a6-4e4c-844b-d0dd6899eb3a

Please try again to contact your cardiologist for reassurance, but hopefully this above information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much.

You're welcome. Take care.

Dr. Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you.

Please ignore the premium service offer sent by JustAnswer. Its automatically sent by the web site, and not by me.

Have a great day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vert helpful, I appreciate it. I figured out the problem, I used lavender essential oil on a client and it dropped my heart rate so low that it made my device send a warning.

Ok great. I'm glad it was nothing serious. Take care.

Dr. Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate the feedback.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD