Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do you have to be in a certain city or state I am in

Do you have to...

Do you have to be in a certain city or state I am in california But I would like to talk to a dr

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I had an acute episode last week of a numb left leg and couldn’t stand. This lasted less then two minutes. Doing tests to rule out mini stroke or migraine

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea no headache. Just numbness in leg which turned to me not being able to stand. There are migraines that come with no headaches

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

45 year old female, don’t drink, don’t smoke , exercise regularly Had gone on a run right before this happened

6/28/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Following investigations would be required to ascertain the cause;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG).

It can also be due to pinched nerves in the back, which can be caused by:

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in back

2) Lumbar spondylosis; bone spurs in the back vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was Have no back issues. But the night before this happened I was lifting weights per usual twice a week. And ran in the morning. Can you have a pinched nerve and have no pain in your back

Yes, pinched nerves can occur without any back pain or any other back symptoms.

It is privilege assisting you.

Sorry, I can not phone you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem
I just thought it would be easier to talk but I can ask here. I had a couple questions regarding the possibility of a TIA attack that was my big concern. I feel like I was walking and literally suddenly out of the blue my whole leg felt sick and for a split second and the next thing I know I was trying to hold my body up against the wall it just seem like it was

A transient ischemic attack usually would affect the same side upper limb too.

Just a lower limb affection is more likely to be due to the spinal cord issue.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK great I’m due for an MRI today and I will make sure they’re doing my spinal cord and lumbar. The episode it was very scary because it happened so quickly I was walking felt completely fine my leg felt sad and numbness but then I felt very confused as I quickly couldn’t stand up. So I thought the confusion maybe had to do with a stroke. But by time I got onto the ground my leg felt a little on them I was able to pull it towards me and then get up within 30 seconds
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a note here that says you can’t talk but that’s fine I’m happy to just text this back-and-forth

I can understand this is scary.

Since it involved only one lower limb, MRI of the lumbar spine would be good to evaluate it.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.