Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I put some triple antibiotic inside my nose for a sore I had…

I put some triple...

I put some triple antibiotic inside my nose for a sore I had - I may have swallowed a small amount as a result. I have a bit of a stomach ache. Is this correlated?

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed the antibiotic? How severe were any side effects?

Not a prescription- just the stuff you can buy anywhere

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the stomachache?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I am a healthy person otherwise

6/28/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually swallowing a small amount of triple antibiotic cream is NOT harmful to your health in short or long term, yes you may experience minor stomach aches or burning in the stomach for a few hours after swallowing the antibiotic but it gets better on its own. Usually the maximum the symptoms last for is 24 hours or 48 hours at most. The cream would not cause any permanent damage to your stomach at all.

So to answer your question, yes the stomach ache may be due to the cream however it should settle down on its own. if it gets worse, just use OTC Prilosec at a dose of 10 mg 1-2 times daily for two days which should control the symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect and thank you. I want sure how concerned I should be if at all.

You are welcome, no need to be concerned at all, this happens commonly and it does not cause any long term harm