Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother in law fell yesterday and hit her head a along…

My mother in law...

My mother in law fell yesterday and hit her head a along with some scrapes and 24 stitches in her leg. She’s been throwing up off and on the last time was about an hour and a half ago..

Doctor's Assistant: How long has your mother-in-law had vomiting? Has she used any medication for it?

Hasn’t taken any medication for vomiting

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about vomiting?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

She’s 79

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that your mother in law suffered a fall with injuries. Did she have a CT scan of her head yesterday at the hospital?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
everything looked ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks

Ok great. Her nausea and vomiting is somewhat concerning. Especially if it developed today. Concussion is the most likely diagnosis. In this case, its best for her to engage in both physical and mental rest. If her nausea persists I would recommend that you take her to a local urgent care or to the ER to be re-evaluated to determine if anything more dangerous is occurring. Hopefully not. If you have no meds at home for nausea, you can purchase a medication called Meclizine (Antivert) from over-the-counter to treat the nausea. Alternatively, you can request a prescription from the doctor who saw her yesterday to get a prescription of an antinausea medication.

If she develops weakness in her extremities, increasing sleepiness, confusion, trouble speaking or walking, please take her to the ER immediately. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD