Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had chronic sinusitis a few weeks ago maybe a month ago…

Okay so I had chronic...
Okay so I had chronic sinusitis a few weeks ago maybe a month ago and I stopped taking my antibiotics because they gave me a yeast infection. Here lately every time I yawn my ears pop, every time I swallow they pop. My ears also itch and sometimes there is pain. Also I feel like if I move too fast I’m gonna fall over and sometimes it feels like I’m swaying but I’m not and sometimes it’s hard for my eyes to focus on certain things. Also when I had sinusitis I also had fluid in my ears so could the fluid in my ears and sinus pain and pressure cause all of this or could it be something more serious?
6/27/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

What is your age?

What were the investigations done?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m 23 and what do you mean by investigations? I stated the problems I’m having

Were any x-rays of the sinuses or MRI done?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay

All of your symptoms can be caused by chronic sinusitis.

A coronal CT of the sinuses and/or fiberoptic nasal endoscopy is diagnostic for it. Some physician may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up the obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. The following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

You may also be looked for GERD, which has increasingly been implicated in causing or exacerbating chronic sinusitis. The exact relationships and mechanisms are presently a matter of speculation, though.

Consulting an ENT (ear, nose throat) specialist would be prudent.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my sinuses could cause me to be feeling off balance. Don’t call I’d rsther just talk on here

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Yes, sinusitis can cause a feeling of imbalance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the back of my head and neck also kind of hurt and I am a little shaky as well. How exactly does the sinuses cause imbalance and can it put pressure on your eyes as well?

Sinuses are hollow in the bones of the face. These are around the nose and eyes and base of the skull. Since the nerves of sinuses are common with the neck, eyes and other adjacent areas, these would cause referred symptoms to the surrounding organs. The sinusitis causes affection of the air pressure of the middle ear too, which gives us feeling of imbalance due to discrepeancy between the two ears, pressure.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the eyesight. Looking at my tv or phone sometimes I have to look away from the brightness. My sinuses is also causing this as well?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also feel as if I’m in like a fog of some sort. Like I’m here and can understand things and carry on but I’m not here if you understand what I’m trying to say

Frontal and sphenoid sinuses (names of various sinuses) can cause these symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What could I use to try and flush my ears out

Ears are not treated as it is a secondary involvement.

Only do Valsalva for the ear pressure

https://www.healthline.com/health/valsalva-maneuver

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you positive that me havin sinus issues can cause me being off balance? And can I also get continuing headaches from this?

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time and patience sir. I really appreciate you taking your time out to help me.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to worry about this or no or just do what I can about it

Do not worry at all.

Do what we have discussed as much as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you so much!

You are most welcome.