Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 5 and was in the a hot tub during the day and…

My daughter is 5...

My daughter is 5 and was in the a hot tub during the day and it was hot outside, she was in it for about 15 minutes before I realized. she got in the pool right away but started to cry she had a bad headache. brought her in she was cold but felt hot. now its been about 5 hours and she has spiked a temp again but says she is cold. not sure if it could be heat exhaustion this far out? She is drinking fluids and urinates. She has been laying down this whole time, not herself.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the headache? Have you used any medication for it?

We just got her some ibuprofen. Just not sure if its heat stroke or something that I should take her to the ER for or just give her the motrin and monitor her/

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the headache?

No have not seen a doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Its my daughter. she is 5 year old. no history

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2018
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated nausea, vomiting?

Pain abdomen?

Dizziness?

What is her current body temperature?

When had you given the last dose of Ibuprofen?

Any redness, rash on the skin?

Are you hydrating her with plain water or Pedialyte?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no nausea or vomiting, current temp 100.4 axillary. Just now gave her ibuprofen, hydrated with water. some belly pain. lethargic. face is reddish

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, it sounds like Heat exhaustion.

Now I would recommend giving her OTC Liquid Emetrol.

As you have already given Ibuprofen so you can wait for next few hours and her fever will reduce.

Hydrate her with Pedialyte rather than plain water.

Apply cool water sponging on her face.

She will be fine in next two days most likely.

Still, you can watch for any unusual symptoms like fever higher than 103 F, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, shivering then visit an emergency room.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much , will
Take your advice

I wish for her good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. A bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide a rating.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor