Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does colostrum help for Crohns? Just starting, seems to be…

Does colostrum help for...

Does colostrum help for Crohns?

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

Just starting, seems to be what i have, not on meds yet, waiting on more tests

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Yes

6/27/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hello...I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have just now come online and will be happy to help you now. I am currently reviewing your question and will be back in a moment.

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...An impaired intestinal barrier function is involved in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Several nutritional factors are supposed to be effective in IBD treatment but scientific data about the effects on the intestinal integrity remain scarce.

Bovine colostrum (BC) has a range of functional constituents including immunoglobulins, growth factors, and antimicrobial peptides. The potency of BC to improve infectious and inflammatory gastrointestinal diseases is well established. However, the underlying mechanisms beyond anti-inflammatory effects are not well understood.

Controlling clinical signs of inflammation and thereby improving the quality of patient’s life is the main goal of Crohn's disease treatment. Currently, the therapeutic end-point in the treatment is the remission of symptoms but emerging evidence indicates that sub-clinical mucosal inflammation and the intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that disrupt the barrier could lead to disease relapse. So in this scenario - BC has emerged as a promising tool.

There is definite evidence for colostrum as a prophylactic agent with properties that strengthen barrier function and favor epithelial restitution.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi..I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.