Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 63-year old runner and am in pretty good health.

However, when I move my...
I am a 63-year old runner and am in pretty good health. However, when I move my head up or down, or when I bend over to eat or brush my teeth, I feel a little dizzy. It feels like mild motion sicknessI also feel at times a little unsteady when I walk.Is this a normal part of aging? Is it related to my running?
6/26/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** and I am an internal medicine doctor. I would like to assist with your health concern. Congratulations on staying in wonderful health. I don’t believe that the running is causing your symptoms so I would definitely recommend that you continue to run and stay active. The feeling of unsteadiness and occ dizziness may be due to changes in our center of equilibrium which is in the inner ear. This does change as we grow older and our balance may be affected. Other things such as fluid balance, vitamin deficiencies such as B12, iron and vitamin D deficiency may also affect this so it is always good to get updated labs done with your primary. Stay well hydrated. And take your time when switching positions especially from sitting to standing
Please let me know if I can assist with any other questions. I honestly think you are doing great.
And if you were satisfied with the service I provided, please consider giving me a 5 star rating as we work for stars. Thank you so much and I wish you well.
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** I will certainly ask for updated labs when I see my physician for my annual physical in September.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just have one further question, Dr. Lim. I also notice that my dizziness affects my sleep. It feels like an adrenaline rush that keeps me from falling asleep...Normally sleep is fine but occasionally I'll have a very restless night. Is this consistent with balance issue discussed in your first post?
Thanks for getting back to me. An issue with the inner ear can cause dizziness when switching head positions - the term is positional vertigo- and it can happen as you lay down and turn your head one way or another. And when you feel the dizziness, the body reacts to compensate for this. You can try over the counter meclizine at bedtime on nights that you feel this way and see what happens. Just be careful with new medications in general, even if they are over the counter - I always tell my patients that- since the meclizine will be new to you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
You’re so very welcome! Please take care!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's nice to talk to a medical professional; in fact, it's a wonderful service that "Just Answer" provides. I admit I've been having pretty irrational features lately about my dizziness being caused by a brain tumor though I have none of the symptoms. I always assume the very worst!Once again, thank you!
I’m glad that we were able to connect here. I have been in touch with a lot of wonderful people already through this site. Call on me again when you need me and give me an update every so often. Take care.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, Dr. Lim Thanks for inviting me to ask another question.When you mentioned 'postural vertigo' I Googled it and found my way to some really neat dizziness home exercises. The Brandt-Baroff exercises really do seem to alleviate symptoms (or perhaps I'm only imagining it)How do you feel about these home exercises for dizziness? Can you suggest any better ones?

Oh, I love it! Yes, those exercises are good for you! And if you do end up getting a little dizzy when you perform the exercises, this is normal -- so take your time after each movement/ exercise so your inner ear can compensate. You are a runner so please continue to stay active. I also recommend looking into Tai chi exercises/ classes as this has been clinically proven to improve balance as we grow older.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will most definitely look into Tai chi exercises.We're in a heat wave up here in Canada so I managed a pretty good tempo pace run (@ 8:50 mile pace for 40 mins) on a treadmill at the gym (where it's cool). I do intend to keep running for as long as I can. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.Again, thank you!

You are amazing. I am a runner myself and you inspire me. Take care!