Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Pain on left side of head, temple area. Along with that is a…

Pain on left side...

Pain on left side of head, temple area. Along with that is a little pain around left eye socket and on left side of nasal cavity. Been this way for 2 solid weeks now. Also teeth are very sensitive now, especially on left side. Aspirin everyday and some days are worse than others. Thinking on going to emergency room to see doctor. All this is new to me and has never happened before.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily. No nausea. Left eye wants to water up a little.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really. Full blown physical over a month ago and passed with flying colors. My teeth are not in the best of shape and missing quite a few on bottom

6/26/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, from what you are describing, there are a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of pain. The first thing which comes to mind is that you could be experiencing the pain due to trigeminal neuralgia. This is a condition in which the trigeminal nerve, the nerve which supplies most of the face, is damaged or compressed which can lead to pain over the temple, cheek and the jaw. It would usually cause sharp, stabbing or shooting sort of pain, however, the character can change from one patient to the next. Usually, the diagnosis is made via a physical examination and then it can be treated with various medications including carbamazepine, Lyrica or Neurontin.

The next possibility which comes to mind is that you could be experiencing episodes of cluster headaches which can cause pain sharp in nature, in fact, many patients describe the pain as a red-hot poker through the eye and other regions in the face. It can cause watering from the eye as well. this again would be diagnosed with the help of a physical examination and would be treated with supplemental oxygen and also with medications like triptans.

Lastly, this can also be due to sinusitis which is inflammation/infection of the sinuses. It would also cause this sort of pain and various other symptoms. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple x-ray of the sinuses and then can be treated with antibiotics.

Now if the pain is worsening day by day I would suggest that you DO see your doctor as soon as possible, if the pain is severe then definitely head to the ER or if you develop blurring of vision, nausea, vomiting, weakness or numbness in the limbs then again head to the ER. In the meantime do start using OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice daily.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx so much! I really appreciate it!!!!

You are welcome, best of luck.