Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am currently being treated for and have been treated with…

Hello, I am currently...

Hello, I am currently being treated for syphilis and have been treated with two rounds of penicillin g. I was experiencing neuropathy in the left side of my body, so I went to my primary care physician and two tests were conducted and confirmed that I also had lyme disease. Before the infectious disease specialist treats me, they are requiring a lumbar puncture. The specialist is aware that I'm being treated with a course of intramuscular penicillin g. My question is this: will receiving antibiotic treatment for syphalis hinder the results of the spinal fluid collected?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been using Penicillin? Has it helped at all?

For about two weeks. Yes and no. I am still experiencing numbness on the right side of my body.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Penicillin for this?

Prior to receiving the penicillin, I was prescribed a 14 day course of doxy, which was discontinued after about a week taking it because it coincided with the numbness on the left side of my body. I thought it was an adverse reaction to the medication.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think that's it.

6/26/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

Thanks for your question. Fortunately, the fact that you are currently being treated for syphilis with penicillin will no alter the results of the spinal fluid analysis. The markers of syphilis in the spinal fluid will remain positive up to 6-9 months after the initiation of treatment. So, as long as the fluids is collected before the 6 mo mark, the test is still considered accurate.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Greg, thanks for your response. There are two conditions that I am currently dealing with. The first is the syphilis infection, which I have received a total of two intramuscular penicillin g shots. The second is lyme disease, which I also tested positive for. The lumbar puncture is being required for the treatment of lyme disease; the infectious disease specialist is requiring this to treat me and is aware of my treatment for syphilis. So, if I understand this correctly, my antibiotic treatment for syphilis will not impact the spinal fluid analysis for lyme disease? I am supposed to receive another shot of penicillin g (last and final) tomorrow, with the lumbar puncture for the spinal fluid analysis coming up in the next few days. So the markers for lyme disease will still be present in the fluid in spite of my antibiotic treatment for syphilis so close to the procedure?

That's correct. The penicillin treatments you are receiving for the syphilis will have no impact on the spinal fluid testing for Lyme.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much for your help!

You're welcome. Take care.

Dr. Greg