Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Tolnaftate, description, side effects, etc? Toenail fungus.

tolnaftate, description, side effects...

tolnaftate, description, side effects, etc?

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

Toenail fungus. This is the first product I have used. Just wondered about side effects, systemic absorption, etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

No, what could he/she do? Most medicines come with a package insert, explaining everything in minute details. Not this one.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, not really. I'm basically quite healthy, but this fungus has been there for a long time, and I thought it was time to get rid of it. It was getting bigger, thicker, pushing the nail up. Its the second toe on right foot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just wanted to see the package insert, (if there was one, which there wasn't), the piece of paper included in most medicines, (which no doctor ever reads, I've heard), but I do. I tried to go to WebMed, but couldn't find anything. I probably didn't know how to search.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your health concern.

As you know probably already know, toenail fungus is quite common - it is a nail infection that is primarily cosmetic and has no chance of spreading in the blood stream.

But it can cause ugly thick toenails and toenail pain when the nail gets too thick so I can understand why you would like to treat it.
Tolnaftate is a topical oil based product that you will apply to your toenail twice a day - usually for 2- 4weeks.

Because it is a topical solution and not something you ingest, the side effects are minimal - possible local reaction to the area that you applied it to - but this is unlikely unless you are allergic to it.

I am available to answer any follow up questions that you may have so feel free to ask.

If you were satisfied with my response, please consider giving me a 5 star rating as we work for stars, thank you so much and I wish you well.

Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD