Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a very personal question about a friction abrasion on…

I have a very...

I have a very personal question about a friction abrasion on my penis.....is this something someone could help answer for me?

Doctor's Assistant: When did the abrasion first appear? Have you used any medication for this?

About 8 weeks ago. It doesnt ooze, a scab has formed but has a red border around it. A Dr. prescribed several creams, first clotrimazole...helped a little, then he changed it to nystatin---that didnt change it much, then he put me on mupiroin, which really seemed to inflame it......I dont know what to do....

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dermatologist about the abrasion?

Yes, this was a dermatologist who prescribed those three creams, he prescribed them because he believes a fungal infection formed.....but now I'm gonna see a new dermatologist weds.....obviously this friction abrasion is in a tough area, but I keep it clean, and wet it often to see if I can get the scab to fall off, but it just doesnt change....you have any professional insights into what this could be, and how to get rid of it?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I'm aware of

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have thirteen (13 years) of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. Skin conditions are best diagnosed and treated after seeing them directly. May I request you to upload some images of the skin issue so that I can guide you better. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will send a picture
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here;s another recent picture
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still there?
Hello... I understand your concern.
Thank you for uploading both the images.
I need some more information please.1. Did you have any unknown sexual encounter before this appeared on your penis?
2. Is there any itching?
3. Have you been tested for STD screening recently and if so when?
4. Was a test called KOH mount done?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a sexual encounter with my boyfriend. There is no itching. Have not been tested for STD screening. a KOH mount was not done.
Hi... thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.
From the symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that this is not a simple fungal infection and this looks like a syphilitic chancre please.I am extremely sorry to say this but I have to give you my unbiased professional opinion keeping your good will in mind.You need to get yourself tested by a comprehensive STD screening.I suggest that you get tested yourself for all STDs.Will let you know after how many days of sexual contact you need to get the testing done.For genital and oral Herpes it is 6 weeks.
For Chlamydia you should get tested after 5 days.
For Gonorrhea after 6 days.
For Syphilis after 6 weeks.
For Hepatitis B after 6 weeks.
For Hepatitis C after 9 weeks.For HIV you can go ahead with a Combo test of HIV I & II antibodies along with P24 antigen essay at the end of 4 weeks. The other option is going ahead with an early detection test of RNA detection after 11th day from the exposure.This is based on the incubation periods of these STDs." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.....thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did you say it looks like a syphilitic chancre please? did you mean to say please? just want to make sure
it looks like a syphilitic chancre.
I didn't understand what you are asking.
I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you...if it is a syphilitic chancre....how is it to be treated??
Parenterally-delivered penicillin G is the treatment of choice for all stages of syphilis. Treatment recommendations are based upon the pharmacokinetics of the available drugs, the microbe's slow growth rate (penicillin is active against dividing organisms and requires prolonged antimicrobial exposure for effective killing).
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok....thank you very much
would amoxicillin work too?
Though Amoxicillin is a penicillin group of drug, the drug of choice would be parenterally-delivered penicillin G.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you!
Happy to help anytime..!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the funny thing is however I got this, it was with my boyfriend, and he is STD free.
He might be in the window period for symptoms or the organism might be in the incubation period.I suggest that he too get tested in the comprehensive way of STD screening which I have suggested above.