Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with the flu back on June 7th. I was given…

I was diagnosed with the...
I was diagnosed with the flu back on June 7th. I was given Tamiflu, cough meds and nasal spray. I had fever nasal congestion adn everything that goes along witht he flu. After treatment, i started feeling better and went back to wrok after about 3 days, but still not feeling 100%. I still had lingering cough, and alot of nasal congestion and pressure around my right ear. Exactly one week later after being diagnosed with the flu, I developed this headache on the right side of my head near the top of my head and into my forehead and temples. Its mostly pressure and occaasionally throbs. It radiates down the back of my head once in a while. I was treated 8 years ago at the Michigan head pain and neurological institute in 2012 for a headache thwt last for 6 months straight. I have tried every medication that I was given from the hopspital plus prescriptioj and OTC meds that I usually take for regular headaches but nothing is working. I followed up after the flu with my primary physician and she prescribed prednisone and Amoxicillin for a possible sinus infection and its nto working either. Even thought the headache is not debiliating, it si very worrisome. I cannot go through what i went through before. I am a basket case. I am so anxious and cannot think of anything but this pressure in my head. Any possible ideas that this could still be part of the flu still lingering? I live in Florida and i can go back up to Michigan to antoher evalution, but im not sure how long i should wait it out.
Thank you
6/24/2018
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

For how many days you have tried prednisone and in which dosage? Is there pain on pressing the cheek or area above eyes? Does the pressure increases if you bend forward?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started at 60 mg for 3 days and am now decreasing to 40 mg for the next 3 days and then down to 20 and sew on. I am aslo on 875Amoxicillin twice a day yes i feel pressure under my eye into my forhead and temple but only on my rigth side which is different than the headaches ive had in the past that have lasted for months, i get on and off throbbing for a few seconds at a time on the top of my head which excedirn migrain or naproxen will take the edge off which is also different than before. But i know i cant keep taking those due to rebound headaches. No the presssure does not really increase when i bend forward and it does throb either when i bend over, walk cough or sneeze.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description yes this is a sinus infection. You should continue the drugs as prescribed and wait till completion of 7 days. If there is no improvement after 7 days, the next step should be to change antibiotic as clarithromycin is better choice in responding sinusitis. Till you complete 7 days, add the following over the counter available stuff;

1. Over the counter available Nasacort nasal spray two puffs twice daily for 14 days.

2. Over the counter available otrivin nasal spray two puffs twice daily for five days.

3. Take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily for two weeks.

Hopefully addition of these measures will help you feel much better. I am myself an Assistant professor of ENT and it's my speciality to deal with the problem you have. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less than that, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. The nasal spray that I was given was fluticasone propionate 50 mcg per spray. Not sure if thats the same as nasacort. I have been using steam inhalation using lavendar but not menthol. Can i use a little vicks in the water since i already have that here at home? And i guess my biggest question and concern is why are none fo my pain meds responding to my headache or taking it away? That is my biggiedt concern as i don’t really feel that congested.

You are most welcome. Yes you can keep using fluticasone instead of Nasacort. You can use Vicks. It's same as menthol. Your persistence of pain is due to infection but give your drugs couple of more days and add my suggestions. I reassure you that there is nothing serious and you are going to be alright. My best wishes and prayers will be following you for a good health. Please remember to rate my answer because this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. My primary doctor didn’t tell me any of these things. I always get worried when I get a persistent headache that doesn’t respond to analgesics since I’ve been in this position before with no relief, but this time its a little different, location, intensity etc. How come I don’t feel like I have a sinus infection? I was just curious because I really feel ok except for the headache. How long does it take for the Amoxicillin 875 x 2 to actually kick in? I have been taking them since Wednesday. Also what is the difference between the Fluticasone and the otrivin nasal spray? WhaT do they do differently? Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am also scheduled to go on vacation next Saturday and am going to be out in the sun and was concerned on whether i should still go. Should i be feeling better by then? I am on the fence on whether to cancel my trip or not. I also don’t know how i am going to talk my dr into changing my antibiotic if need be to the one you suggested..

You are most welcome. Otrivin opens up the sinus opening to drain the secretions and fluticasone decreases long term inflammation. If you have a trip ahead better see doctor earlier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question that you didn’t answer. How long does it take before the Amoxicillin should start working on my headache and would o actually know if I have a ani’s infection because I feel fine other than the headache.

Amoxicillin usually take 3 days for the fever and headache to take away. It is very very common to have sinus infection with just headache and no other symptom.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for letting me know. Its been 4 days so far with not really any change. So of course I’m concerned.

Yes I do understand. Please combine the drugs with my suggestions and hope for the best. I reassure you that there is nothing serious so please don't stress yourself for something that you don't have. Regards

Anything else you want to ask?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not particularly just concerned
when this headache will go away.

Thanks for your reply. It will go away once the sinus infection resolve and hopefully it will soon. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. Please remember to rate my answer because this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor