Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

6 weeks ago I had flu and strep throat. Later that week I…

Hello, 6 weeks ago I...
Hello, 6 weeks ago I had flu and strep throat. Later that week I became extremely congested. My nose was plugged. One morning I blew my nose and the room began to spin and I couldn’t walk and was being sick. I eventually managed to unblock the ear and the spinning slowed. After that I would put on antibiotics for sinusitis and stemetil for labyrthitis as I was feeling like my head was heavy and off balance. Since then I have had 2 further courses of antibiotics, betahistine dyhydrochloride, nasal sprays and a course of steroids. Also cut all dairy and caffine out of my diet. Still have persistent crackling in ears and feel my head is of balance all of the time. Eyes feel very heavy like I need to sleep all of the time. Biggest problem is this feeling of being drunk. Any suggestions on what’s going on?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also sight ringing in ears. Complete daily sinus rinse too along with antihistamine.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2018
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Press the tragus of your ear with finger 5 to 7 times and see if it make you dizzy? Do this after you are sitting in a bed. Any CT scan and hearing tests done? Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning, no this does not make me dizzy. No hearing or CT scans done yet. I have another doctors appointment on 6th July which as the first one I could get but just wondered if you had any suggestions or previous experience of these symptoms in the mean time.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I am an Assistant professor of ENT and can guide you better. Your diagnosis and treatment given so far is perfect. What you have now is the after effects of labrynthitis. It's going to take 6 more weeks but there are certain measures which you should do.

1. Your betahistine should continue for 6 to 12 weeks more.

2. Keep using steroid nasal spray. If you don't have it, you can use over the counter available Nasacort nasal spray two puffs twice daily for 4 weeks.

3. You should take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily for two weeks.

4. You should do vestibular rehabilitation exercises for fee months. I am going to share a YouTube link that how you can do this;

Watch "Inner Ear Balance Home Exercises to Treat Dizziness" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/olgEtOKAGaI

Don't worry, the problem is going to solve but it will take some time. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less than that, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thankyou for your response it is very reassuring. Just a couple more questions... is the cracking a sign that mucus is in the ear?Also I am finding that when I in large shops or big halls with bright lights it enhances this whoozy light headedfeeling. Is that a normal symptom too?

You are most welcome . Yes crackling indicates fluid behind ear drum. Yes it's called light sensitivity and it can occur too. As I said you are on your way back to recovery and will be fit and fine with the passage of time. My best wishes and prayers will be following you for a good health. Please remember to rate my answer because this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor