Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im a 36 year old male. Im having issues with my bowel

movements. I seem to have...
im a 36 year old male. Im having issues with my bowel movements. I seem to have 5-6 bowel movements per day which is very disruptive for my work. but besides having multiple bowel movements, I have had 2 bowel movements that had some bright blood in the toilet and the toilet paper. it wasn't back to back bowel movements. one was about 2 weeks ago once. and I had another one today. after that bowel movement, my other bowel movements appear normal. just wondering what it may be.
6/24/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your health concern. How long have you been having these symptoms? Are your bowel movements formed or watery? Are you having any abdominal pain, fever etc? Any stool testing done - stool cultures to check for any infection?
You may ignore any phone call requests as this is automatically generated by the website. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a stool sample test done a few months ago. everything was normal. no pain. it only happened 2 times. no fever. sometimes the stool is watery. sometimes normal. it never seems to be the same. but I have so many movements Its hard to keep track
Obviously, it is not normal to have 5-6 bowel movements a day and the fact that stool has to pass through your rectal area 5-6 times a day caused irritation and this bleeding. So I am not really concerned about the bleeding more than I am concerned about the cause of your diarrhea. Have you had other testing such as a colonoscopy and testing for celiac antibodies? Have you seen any doctors for this or taken any meds?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I haven't had an opportunity to talk to my doctor about the multiple bowel movements. as my visits are far apart and im limited to 2 questions a visit. I have a lot of things to ask and this was one of them so I just wanted to get some input because it might be a little while before I see my doctor again.
It is super important that you discuss this with him since it is abnormal and affecting your life. In the meantime, try this- avoid all lactose products including milk, cheese, butter, ice cream etc, limit your caffeine, try to also adhere to gluten free foods as well. It’s a sacrifice but it will help.
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Have you tried any Imodium?