Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m scheduled to do a upper endoscopy I have a problem

Hi, I’m scheduled to...
Hi, I’m scheduled to do a upper endoscopy I have a problem swallowing and sometimes it feels like I cannot breathe I’ve had a barium swallow test done which came back fine I also had a ultrasound of my throat which came back fine the last step is the endoscopy I would like to know more about the procedure I have extreme anxiety and I’m afraid to be put to sleep I was told the procedure is really quick and I will be able to go home soon after but I also know there are some risk I am healthy other then not being able to swallow but I’m wondering if I should go through with it even though it is necessary
6/23/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your health concern. It is understandable that you are worried about a procedure. As with any procedure, there are risks but the risks are minimal compared to the possible benefits of finding a diagnosis to your problem.
So during an endoscopy, you will receive anesthesia that will put you to sleep. The procedure only takes about 15 minutes and then you are brought to recovery where you will wake up and hopefully be able to go home right away with your designated driver. I will describe the actual procedure and complications in more detail in my next message.
as you probably already know, an endoscopy is done using a thin scope that is passed in your mouth, will go down your food pipe into your stomach and duodenum which is the first part of the small intestine. You will be asleep the whole time and will only wake up in the recovery room. Since you will receive sedation, you may feel groggy for several hours after the procedure and may even have some nausea from the anesthesia- this should pass. Complications as I mentioned are rare but can include bleeding or injury to the esophagus from the scope. Puncturing the esophagus is an extremely rare complication.
Please click on the link below for a very nice educational video about an upper endoscopy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fufHkq0Ks
I am available for any follow up questions that you may have so please feel free to ask.
If you were satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating as we work for stars. Thank you so much and I wish you well.
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

You're so very welcome. Good luck with everything and feel free to call on me if you have any additional questions or concerns. Please take care!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I have trouble swallowing and I had a barium swallow done , throat ultrasound and a endoscopy done everything was normal I don’t know what can be the problem would this be my tonsils or something I just really want to be able to eat I’m losing so much weight at a rapid pace