Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had a hiv test for a routine check up about 3…

Hello,I recently had a hiv...
Hello,I recently had a hiv test for a routine check up about 3 weeks ago. During the test I wasn’t paying attention to see if a new needle was used. I did see the Dr throw away the one used on me into the sharps bucket. About 16 days after the test I developed a runny nose, nasal congestion, cough and a mild fever which lasted a day. As I am very health anxious the symptoms of ARS went through my mind. I realise I need help for my health anxiety but wanted to get an opinion on this. I know there do an element of being irrational but I am struggling with my anxiety on this, not sure how I can be sure a new needle was used and the risks involved.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to add I did the test at a private clinic in the UK who specialise in STI testing.
6/23/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry you are concerned and that your HIV test was negative.

1. About the use of a new sterile needle being used to draw your blood.

2. Getting a viral infection from the visit

3. Getting ARS (Adult Respiratory Syndrome) from the visit.

Let's look at the circumstances surrounding your visit.

In a private clinic, it would be against their protocol to use a needle twice and they would cause infections in their patients that would be known in the community very rapidly. The chance of this happening is very very remote.

Your upper respiratory illness lasting one day is not considered to be ARS as this medical problem does not resolve in 24 hours.

I know I will not 100% convince you that this is anxiety, but I hope I have.

The needle used for you was new and sterile.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your response. My test was negative. What I am referinng to as ARS is the sypmtoms of seroconversion illness when someone is infected with hiv. I have read that those symptoms are usually fever, sore throat and swollen glands. These symptoms usually appear 2-6 weeks after someone is infected I have read.
My anxiety is because I got some symptoms after the test and I was worried a needle was reused and can cause infection.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the fever lasted one day but I still have a congested nose.

With a negative HIV test, you cannot have Serro-conversion. Symptoms of HIV normally don't appear for at least 6 weeks and if they do (with a positive test) the fever lasts much longer than 1 day. Your nasal congestion following a viral illness can be treated with Claritin or Zyrtec or Nasal Saline Spray for a few days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks doctor but I think I might not be clear. I am concerned about being infected during the test as a result of a reused needle. The reason I am anxious about this is because two weeks after the test I developed the symptoms of a cold, runny nose, congestion and a mild fever which lasted a day. This is why I am concerned because of the symptoms I got after the test there is anxiety that there may have been a reused needle.

Let me address these concerns.

If you were infected at the time of your testing, your symptoms would have appeared within 24 hours not 2 weeks later. Any virus transmitted directly into a vein would enter your blood stream immediately and a reaction would have started. You would have become ill in a very short period of time.

So, your "cold" did not come from the testing or a previously used needle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No am not talking about the cold, seconversion illness, doesn’t start until 2-6 weeks post infection. My symptoms came around 2 and a half weeks after the test. My anxiety here is that what if a resused needle infected me, as I developed these seymtoms 2 weeks afterwards. It’s cause of the symptoms I had and also what I read about seroconversion symptoms, which has led to this anxiety.

In order to have serro-conversion illness, you must first have a positive HIV test result.

You had a negative HIV test result so there is absolutely no way to develop serro-conversion disease.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t think I am being clear. My concern is that is there a chance that during the test a reused needle used which could lead to hiv infection. The reason I have this anxiety is because of symptoms
I developed two weeks after the test.

You are being very clear. You are not allowing yourself to accept an obvious answer because of your Health Anxiety and your Anxiety in general. I also see that you have not accepted an answer to any question that you have asked on Just Answer. I have given you a very reasonable explanation of your query. Please accept my answer or tell me that because of your anxiety you are incapable of accepting any answer. If that's the case, I will opt out and let another expert try to help you. If you are capable of accepting my response, please provide a 5 star rating now. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What am saying is that my understanding is that if you contract the virus you will have sero conversion symtokms 2-4 weeks post exposure, at that time you won’t know the status unless you do a test.My concern is that if a reused needle was used is there a risk of hiv infection? Also if someone contracts the virus are runny nose, congestion and coughing typical symptoms of sero conversion illness?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am basically anxious about transmission during the test, so I need to do a retest again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean to say do I need to do a testest again?

When was your possible exposure to HIV? If there was an exposure and you had the test 2-4 weeks after that exposure, then the test is 98% conclusive and a new test is not needed if the initial test was negative.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not had any exposure to HIV at any point. My fear is that my exposure was during the test from a reused needle. That is my fear that I was exposed during the test. This fear is magnified because I got ill 2 weeks after the test.

Thank you for this additional information.

The only thing you can do is to get retested and watch when the needle is taken out of the sterile container it is kept in before it is placed into your arm. This will ensure that the needle was indeed sterile. Your HIV test will come back as negative and the chances of you getting ill again after the test is very remote and hopefully you can get over your anxiety.

Please provide a 5 star rating now. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I really need to go through that again? Do you tbink I am being irrational about this? Please be honest. My fear is that what if a reused needle was used and I was exposed the fear is magnified by the symptoms I got soon after. Are runny nose and congestion and a cold part of sero symptoms in general?

Only to relieve your anxiety. The symptoms of sero-conversion are:

• swollen lymph nodes
  • headache
  • rash
  • fever

The only one you had was fever (which lasts from 3 days to weeks). One symptom does not a disease make.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay what do you think about my situation? Is there any need for concern here?

If possible, forget about HIV and seroconversion. You have neither. There is absolutely NO need for concern.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you feel I just happened to get a cold a few weeks after the test?

Yes, your "cold" was coincidence and not related to your testing or HIV. You are letting your anxiety rule your logic.

I need you to give a positive 5 star rating now please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you. I have one more question please, in what case would you have been concerned? I think for me because I had a mild fever with my cold symptoms it caused my anxiety.

You are welcome.

I would not have been concerned at all, but I don't have anxiety. The chance of you getting a "used" needle in a licensed health care facility is less than 1/10,000,000, so I would have no concerns at all. Your symptoms were not those of anything other than a common cold.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8220;Your symptoms were not those of anything other than a common cold” even with a mild fever? I read that adults don’t really get fever with colds the way children do?

STOP! this is anxiety on your part and nothing more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, but can you please confirm is it possible to get fever with a cold?

A fever is defined as an oral temperature greater than 100.4 F. Adults can get fevers with colds.

Stop your anxiety!

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor