Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has had diarrhea for 4 weeks now and has had stool…

My wife has had...

My wife has had diarrhea for 4 weeks now and has had stool samples checked and they were negative for parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc. She has no real gas pain, but has some mucus in her stool but no blood. She has not had any nausea or fever and no weight loss. She is 58 years old and otherwise in good health having two hip replacements in 2017. She is probably 40 pounds overweight (according to her). She has been eating a bland diet of rice with meat or chic***** *****ed well. Nothing seems to help not even Imodium much. Can Crohns or IBS start up suddenly at her age?

Doctor's Assistant: Has your wife used Imodium or anything similar before?

Not really, just a few times during this stretch.

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about IBS?

No, next stop is the gastro dr.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

She does drink a glass of wine a day and two cups of coffee. But other than that she is pretty healthy. This gastro problem popped up out of nowhere.

6/22/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Crohn disease can start at this age. Even irritable bowel syndrome can sometimes at this age but a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome should be made when investigations such as colonoscopy fail to detect any underlying cause of diarrhea. So, at this age, the next investigations should be a colonoscopy if her diarrhea is continuing and also if she has symptoms such as waking up to have a bowel movement.

I am glad that she does not have any blood in stool or any other associated symptoms. This makes the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (which is a benign and harmless condition) much more likely.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered

questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. We will see what the gastro guy says.