Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother only wieghs about 75 pounds, not due to neglect…

Second opinion] My mother...

Second opinion] My mother only wieghs about 75 pounds, not due to neglect but a lack of appetite, etc...she also has a thyroid condition and her swallowing has declined after having suffered two strokes. She is ready to give up but I believe it is due to her lack of comfort. She is sitting on her bones and cannot get comfortable...is there anything I can purchase to assist with this issue. She has multiple health issues but I feel she would be better if she could be comfortable when awake.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has your mother had the stroke? Has she used any medication for it?

She is on numerous medications and the last stroke was about one year ago. She is on a blood thinnere, high blood pressure meds, pain medication, thyroid medication, an enzyme due to chronic pancreatitis and I believe I am forgetting one or two.

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about pancreatitis?

Yes. Due to her frail state, we opted for treatment with meds only since the operation to correct the condition has a high mortality rate

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is alos in remission for lung cancer. She has scar tissue which make her breathing labored due to one lung not working at full capacity. I know my mother being 80 years old is closer to leaving than staying. However, as her only child, my goal is to make her as comfortable as possible with whatever tme she has left. She is with me at home. We chose not to bring in hospice as they do not life saving measures whatsoever. I am totally adverse to any form of resuccistation, her bones would break, but would be open to assistance with breathing etc. Her regular PCP said keep her as comfortable as possible since going to the hospital would open her up to possible infections which she would not be able to fight off. So I am just wondering is there anything I cold purchse so she is not sitting on her bones in agaony when she is awake...hope I am making sense

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anyone reviewing this for a second opinion ???
6/22/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

You should purchase a coccyx cushion for her since this will reliever her tailbone pain. This will be available at your local medical store or you can buy it online:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1CBYAK/ref=psdc_3777121_t2_B003ZJS834

Sometimes these pains are psychological and due to possible depression. In this case, she will benefit from taking an antidepressant medication and this will also increase her appetite. Also asking a physiotherapist to give her a house visit at least once a week will help.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered

questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor