Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 28 year old daughter just had laparoscopic gall bladder…

My 28 year old daughter...
My 28 year old daughter just had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery about a month ago. She is still hurting near one of the incision areas and in that spot is feeling very tender. Could this be muscular related?, or a normal healing process. should I be concerned right now of another problem.I've read that after this type of surgery that you are back to normal activities after 10-14 days. Please advise me with your thoughts. Thanks, ***** ***** parent.
6/21/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is still having significant pain from one of the incision sites. It is unusual for a person to still having significant tenderness at an incision this far out from the surgery.

The first concern, is possible infection. Yes, prolonged muscle inflammation during the healing process is possible, but more rare. The other potential causes is a peripheral nerve inflammation at the spot where the incision was made. It can take months for a nerve to heal after it was injured. I would recommend that she follow up with her primary doctor, or in urgent care to make sure that nothing serious is occurring.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr Greg....Thank you for the response a week ago...My daughter has gone for an ultra sound this past Friday and is now waiting for the results. As far as the pain is concerned, it is still about the same. She recently has some dark specs in her stool. Can this be part of the same problem or other type of concerns. Could this be some small bleeding. Sorry I didn't get to rate you earlier, I will do this with a five star rating. Pleased advise again with your thoughts, Thanks.

I hope that the ultrasound results are reassuring. The dark specs in the stool could be from minor GI bleeding. It could also be from medications, such as Pepto bismol and or iron tablets (if she is taking either of these). As long as the stool doesn't become completely black (like tar), she can wait to see if it resolves. Typically, minor bleeding resolves with time and generally does not require intervention in most cases. If the bleeding becomes more severe, she should be seen by her doctor or in the ER. Take care.

Dr. Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you DR. Greg for all your insights. The Ultra sound came back normal, but unfortunately my daughter in addition to the stool situation, still has the pain by one of the incisions. I know its usual to do the ultra sound first, but would you recommend that a CT scan be requested to see where the pain could be coming from, Again thanks for your help,

I'm sorry to hear that she still has pain. Yes, performing a CT at this point would be best given that she had a recently surgery and is still suffering from unexplained pain. The CT will provide more detailed information about the abdomen and may be able to uncover the cause of her pain.