Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I noticed today that I had a painful spot on my chest- it…

Customer Question
I noticed today that...

I noticed today that I had a painful spot on my chest- it felt like a bruise. Maybe an inch to the left of my sternum, a location easily visible in a bathing suit top I just realized it doesn’t look like anything at all but it’s certainly a bump or a lump that I can feel. After poking around and feeling it, it felt more like spreading burning than a bruise and since then it’s mostky subsided-in the last few minutes. I have no real health conditions thoug I am pregnant, a mother, 34 years old. I had fibrocystic breast’s maybe 15 years ago- the doctor told me to cut down on caffeine. I’ve not had a problem since. This seems different and unlike pregnancy breast issues (I have 4 kids).

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

It’s not hard like a rock or foreign object would feel. If I press more than lightly it’s painful like a bruise. I can’t quite determine if it’s moveable but I can feel a where it begins on my breast side, not sternum side

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don’t think so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
6/21/2018
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Does it feel firm like bone or rubbery? Does it hurt if you take a deep breath?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it feels soft but it does hurt if I apply really any pressure so I haven’t tried to move it too much. When I did poke around much trying to decipher it, the area started burning quite a bit and that subsided once I left it alone. It has a decipherable edge on one side but it’s not very prominent- you have to really get feeling around for it. I would definitely call it rubbery over bony. I have no trouble breathing. It’s much more “surface” than internal like pleurisy or something.

A rubbery texture might indicate a swollen lymph node. They are under the surface but can enlarge to the point of being felt or even seen. They typically arise in response to a local infection, sometimes something trivial in the skin such as a scratch or pimple. They enlarge for a few weeks and then slowly resolve. Other than that, you might consider a focus of inflammation in the costal cartilage (the soft bone between the ribs and the sternum). This is a common area for a small injury (e.g. lifting, throwing, falling) that incites inflammation, leading to costochondritis. This typically responds well to rest, ice and anti-inflammatories.