Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Results from my recent wbc: NE%: 56.4 NE#: 1.6 LY%: 27.2…

Results from my recent wbc: NE%...
Results from my recent wbc:
NE%: 56.4
NE#: 1.6
LY%: 27.2
LY#: 0.8Knowing these more specific results, do you still believe it's most likely that this low overall wbc of 2.8 is not a result of HIV, given that I'm a straight white man? Thx.
6/20/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dear customer,
Thank you for the question.If possible please upload your come blood results. You can take a picture of the result of you have the document with you and upload.Thank you so much!

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Actually, this result makes me more certain that you do not have HIV since HIV can cause a great reduction in Lymphocyte percentage. The normal range of lymphocyte percentage is 20 to 40%, and your lymphocyte percentage is 27.2% which is very reassuring. So it is most likely that your mildly low WBC count is not due to HIV.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Thank you, ***** ***** are you saying that the lymphocyte percentage is more important than my actual number of lymphocytes? I am only worried because I keep reading that low wbc count often results from hiv. Both my lymphocyte number and my neutrophil number at right at the very very bottom of the normal range, but the percentage for both seems to be pretty good. I just don't know whether to be freaked out because of the number or reassured because of the percentage. I also don't know what is causing both those numbers to be low. My doctor tells me it's "clinically insignificant" but I should retest in a month. Thank you again.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

In your case due to the reduction in WBC count, all counts will naturally reduce. So, to suspect HIV the percentage is more important than the actual number of lymphocytes. Your normal percentage is reassuring.

Take care.

Thank you. Yes, the only one that seems to have a higher-than-normal percentage is MO, which is 13.8 percent. Based on my sexual history, I figured hiv was nearly impossible, but I just keep reading that it can be a leading cause of low wbc. Thanks.

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!!

You have no reason to worry about HIV just because of low WBC. Please wait and repeat the test. I am sure that your WB count will return to normal.

Take care.