Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im just wondering if this is serious or not, should i go to…

Im just wondering if...

Im just wondering if this is serious or not, should i go to the er or not?

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

Just ibuprofen, my head has been hurting for 6 days . at first it started in my forehead , then like something squeezing my head and now the pain is going down my neck and the back of my neck feels hot

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the pain?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have pcos and take medformin

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Have you ever had this before?

And has this been a constant headache over these 6 days?

no ive never had this before and yes , its lasted all day , sometimes the pain increases and decreases throughout the day but it never subsides
im at work so the call wont really work for me at the moment
im just becoming concerned because its been 6 days now and i was gonna go to the ER but i dont want to go if i can fix this myself, you know ?

The phone call offer wasn't from me and you don't have to accept it

Any balance problems or vision changes?

none

This sounds typical for a tension headache caused by spasm of your posterior neck muscles

You can treat the with over the counter topical capsaicin cream to the back of your neck and oral ibuprofen

But, that said, I'm limited here since I can't examine you and any new persistent headache like this really warrants an MRI of the brain to check for a leaking aneurysm

I don't see this an an ER situation right now but at the least you should tell your doctor about this and have him examine you

Please let me know if you need any more information

okay thank you

My pleasure and call on me anytime