Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

We’ve talked before about my ocd and fear of contamination…

Hi doctor, we’ve talked before...
Hi doctor, we’ve talked before about my ocd and fear of contamination (hiv aids)... my boyfriend had this what looks like cyst by his elbow... it’s freaking me out... I’ve been tested several times. We’ve had another child who is 1 and we have been together for 3 years. My last test was 4 month ago (negative. But this thing on his arm is freaking me out.
6/20/2018
Dr. Jon
Dr. Jon, Board Certified MD

Hi there. I don't think lesion has anything to do with HIV, but I'm not sure what it is based on its appearance. I will opt out and see if someone else might have a better idea of what it is.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

I agree with Dr. Jon. This lesion does not suggest HIV. In fact, it appears to be an infected sebaceous cyst or epidermal inclusion cyst. This should be looked at by his primary care doctor or a dermatologist, as antibiotics or incision & drainage my be required.

But it has nothing to do with HIV.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I was scared. It seems to be healing. He doesn’t want to go to the doctors for it. As long as it continues to heal do you think there is cause for concern... sorry for bothering my ocd and fear of contamination is driving me crazy.

You're welcome. It does appear to be in a healing phase as evidenced by the ring of scale around it, but this does not mean it will resolve completely on its own. Have it evaluated if it fails to resolve over the next 5-7 days.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.