Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 3 yr old daughter has been having bowel issues. She goes…

Good morning, My 3...

Good morning, My 3 yr old daughter has been having bowel issues . She goes 3 sometimes 4 days with no bowel movement. she doesnt like water to much but we make her drink it. Im trying Mirolax now, still nothing. Warm baths doesn't help. Shes immune to the Prune juice now. I don't know what to do

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

In consulting a doctor before they mentioned that she needed more water. and no shes not on any meds.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

She doesn't take any medications and shes not allergic to any.

6/20/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.

I need some more information please.

1. Did your kid pass motion or meconium on day one of life?

2. Since how long is the kid constipated?

3. Does the kid have any bleeding along with hard stools?

4. How much milk does the kid consume per day?

5. Does the kid eat fruits and vegetables (fibre diet) appropriately?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

1. Im not sure about the motion or meconium
2. She goes 3 to 4 days of constipation constantly. After struggling with the bowel movement the 4th day she will return to regular bowel movement for a few days. After that she will return to going another 3 to 4 days with out a bowel movement. And then when she does pass a bowel movement it is so painful for her. This last time I tried a pedia enema, that did not work right away. and when made to sit on the toilet she will not use it, she like to stand up to have a bowel movement, which looks to me as if shes holding it.
3. no bleeding
4. she consumes chocolate milk at least twice a day
5. she doesn't eat vegetable as she should. shes home with her father whom I don't think makes sure she gets the needed amount
Hi... By what you say and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that your daughter is having habitual constipation.As of now for immediate relief I suggest that you give her lactulose in the dose of 20 ml at night for a period of 7 days and then reduced to 10 ml at night for a period of another 6 weeks.This treatment is not for cure of constipation but it is only to reduce the fear in her that she is going to get painful hard stools.Apart from this there are few other suggestions which you need to follow permanent good effect -
Suggestions:
1. Natural methods are the best to relieve constipation.
2. Constipation is a risk factor for UTI
3. Maximum milk consumption per day should not exceed 300-400ml
4. Minimum 3-4 cups of fruits and vegetables to be consumed per day
5. Toilet training - that is - sitting in Indian type of lavatory daily at the same time will help a lot.
6. She needs to consume at least 2 litres of water per day apart from what she takes while having food.
7. Papaya is the best and natural laxative and I suggest that you give three cups of whole fruit to her." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Thank you so much
Thank you so much for your help I will start today

Hi..I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.