Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was looking to learn more about radiosurgery. No not yet.

I was looking to...

I was looking to learn more about radiosurgery

Doctor's Assistant: Have you discussed the radiosurgery with a doctor?

No not yet

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Not specifically

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have seen a neurosurgeon in Boston who said my only option was brain surgery

This is to treat meningioma
It's quite big. On 3 parts of my brain
6/20/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Can you describe the location of this meningioma -- perhaps getting the description from the MRI report would be easiest.

Have you seen a radiation oncologist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The location is at the base of the skull.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sphenopetroclival meningioma

OK, thank you.

When meningiomas are "big" -- the only option is often brain surgery.

Radiosurgery for meningiomas can be helpful in certain situations, such as when the tumor is small and inaccessible for surgery (because the tumor goes around major blood vessels or major nerves).

If your meningioma is larger than 3cm in diameter - radiosurgery may not even be possible. Generally, radiosurgery can treat areas that are smaller than 3cm -- and your meningioma is probably larger than this.

Of course, having a radiation oncologist review your MRI imaging would be helpful for you, but since you already had this evaluated by a neurosurgeon, it is very likely that only surgery will be helpful in your case.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon