Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been diognosed with silicosis, CWP ( black lung ) and…

Hi I have been...

Hi I have been diognosed with silicosis, CWP ( black lung ) and sarcoidosis. I had an abnormal node in my lungs show up in last CT. In PET scan showed uptake in brain, throat, lungs, spleen, liver, bowel, and strap muscle. In my lungs I have 15 nodes that there short axis is 13mm plus and lungs are peppered. I have a couple of questions, firstly do I most likely have progressive massive fibrosis? In 2012 was 5.6mm was biggest, now 25mm and each year more of them with size increasing. Some did not increase in last year. Others did. Also what is prognosis if, (a) it’s sarcodosis or (b) cancer? Life expectancy and what treatment is available?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had cancer? Have you used any medication for it?

I haven’t had biopsy yet to determine exact diognosis, radiographer report stated the following;

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about cancer?

Waiting for appointment have another 10 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have lost 25% lung function since 2012

6/20/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Silicosis is the reaction of the lung tissue when dust with silica crystal is inhaled . It is a Pneumoconiosis with fibrosis over the affected area,loss of lung function andother problems may be seen.Various biomarkers are used to determine the progression of the disease,they include Serum Cu,Serum Zn,Neopterin,serum Selenium,Heme oxygenase -1,Clara cell protien and ACE enzyme levels.Use of inhaled corticosteroids,oral steroids,rest and lung transplant in very severe cases may help .Loss of lung function tends to limit activity and productivity.The severity of the problem is assessed,oxygen supplementation at home and control of any infection will help.

Confirming the diagnosis by a lung biopsy,excluding Cancer and limiting exercise can lead to a comparitively normal life.Prognosis is fair if damage is not severe,in severe .

I know the diseases all three that I have confirmed diognosis of. Silicosis sarcoido

The biomarkers can be used for prognostic purposes,use of inhaled steroids and cytotoxic drugs like methotrexate,cyclophosphamide and azathioprine is known to help.Use of the biological drug Adalimumab is known to help patients,vaccination for Pneomococus and viral diseases will help in prevention.

If as it seems from PET scan the uptake was seen in cells in brain, throat, lungs, liver, spleen, bowel and strap muscle, if sarcoidosis what is best case senecio, and worst case in life expectancy?

This will usually depend on the degree of lung damage,involvement of other organs ,and complication if any.Preventing further exposure,managing the disease and preventing infections will help.Usually, after full effects of sarcoidosis are seen,usually a life expectancy of about 10 years may be expected.Subclinical sarcoidosis does not influence life expectancy.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor