Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am addicted to paxil 10mg q day and clonapin 1 mg qhs. I…

I am addicted to paxil...
I am addicted to paxil 10mg q day and clonapin 1 mg qhs. I am 74. I have taken these meds for 20 years. Should I start in a rehab program?
6/19/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

Thanks for your question. Typically, you won't need a rehab program unless the use of these medications has caused trouble with the law, inability to perform your daily activities safely, or severe withdrawal symptoms between doses of the mediations.

I would recommend that you discuss your desire to discontinue these medications with your doctor. You and your doctor can create a wean protocol to help you safely stop these medications, while reducing the withdrawal symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

I have no side effects from either med-can I remain on them indefinely without problems?

That's a good question. The paxil is considered safe in the long-term. The clonipin, on the other hand, is associated with the development of dementia. So, there is a risk with this medication. You can continue to use it as needed, but it's best to stop this medication to avoid the potential complications.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
I will let you know-my former psychologist didnt seem concerned- he put me on them and has since retired.

That makes sense. The studies linking benzodiazepines with the development of dementia were concluded in 2016. So, this information is quite new. Given that you have been on the medication for many years without complications, you may be safe even if you continue it.