Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Thanks. I’ve having migraine headaches for over a year now…

Hi! Thanks. I’ve having...

Hi! Thanks. I’ve having migraine headaches for over a year now and they are progressively getting worse...blinding, sensitivity to light, and just pounding. This is now almost daily and lasting most of the day. It seems that I am only having a 2 day break now a month. I just want to stay in bed and vege. Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Just sent a message and looking for recommendations

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily and yes nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m on several medications for depression and for failed back surgery syndrome

6/19/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Very sorry to hear about your health issues. You obviously need medications to prevent the migraine attacks . These include beta blockers like propanolol , tricyclics like amitriptyline or Dosulepin .

You are already on medications for other issues as you mentioned so it could also be a medication overuse headache .

During acute attacks you can use NSAIDs like ibuprofen or Naproxen . If these fail then Triptans like Zolmitriptan can be used . Triptans are actually the drug of choice for acute attacks of migraine .

You would obviously need to avoid triggers such as bright light ,loud noises , certain foods e,g chocolates etc .

You would need to consult a Neurologist for discussing all these options .

I hope you find this helpful.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the information

You are most welcome .

Best regards,

Dr Saleem