Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 74 year old wife whose body temperature runs about 97.3…

My 74 year old...

My 74 year old wife whose body temperature runs about 97.3 has had temperature ranging from 99.3-99.9 the last few days along with a persistant headache, weakness,sleepiness. she has taken meds to help. she had total knee replacement surgery over a week ago and is doing well except for nighttime pain. Yesterday she threw up. We're trying to determine whether she should go in and see our doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your wife prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?

She is taking over the counter med for her headache. She is also taken pain meds for the effects of her surgery

Doctor's Assistant: Has she used anything else for this?

She is taking tylenol, tramedol and tylenol 3 all but the tylenol pescribed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

Has had gastric problems for years.

6/18/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. Is there any redness or swelling around the surgical site please?
2. How's she feeling when the fever touches the baseline?
3. How is her appetite and oral intake please?
4. Is she having any generalized body pains?
5. Do anybody else in the family or her visitors had these sort of symptoms please?
6. Is there any rash over her torso or limbs?
7. How is her urine output?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
no redness
when the fever is higher she appears to feel worse
she at breakfast: eggs, bacon, 1/2 piece o f toast without a problemno pain other than that related to surgery
I often get flu if she has had it but so far I've shown no symptoms
no rash
normal urination
Hi...by what you say I feel that she's going through a viral illness.Nothing to worry about it as your answer was a negative one for danger signs.I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be more confident.Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the person, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If she's feeling active and actively playing the around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if she's is active.You can use any Paracetamol 650mg thrice a day or you can use Ibuprofen 400mg three times a day.
Ask her to drink plenty of water.
Eat lot's of fruits and fresh juices." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD