Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have suffered from migraines with aura for about 17 years…

I have suffered from...

I have suffered from migraines with aura for about 17 years now. In the past few years I seem to get them on spirts lasting a month or so getting one everyday or every other day..the I will go 4-5 months with none. Can these auras Kill you? I have seen drs and has 2 brain mris in the past 15 years and I on my neck just recently. Drs just seem to brush it off as you are going to get them and that’s it. My concern is how many is too

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I get nausea a little and even don’t get the headaches every time but these auras seem like a lot..

6/15/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Ok

I'm a little unclear here--are you saying you have migraines with aura every day or every other day?

And do you take any medication for them?

They come and go so I will have them for a month or so everyday or every Other day and then won’t have one for 4-5 months and then it will happen again for a month. No no meds
This week I’ve had 4 last week I had 2

Neither the migraine with or without the aura is dangerous and they won't kill you no matter how many and how often you have them

But if I were your doctor I'd prescribe medication for this--Imitrex, Zomig, or propranolol

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you very much for information!! I feel so much better

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Do you have a last name

Jennings

Where to you Practice medicine

Florida

You are a neurologist

Critical care specialist

You have experience in migraines

Very much so--as a critical care specialist I've had training in neurology and internal medicine

Can auras casue balance issues

Only if they're accompanied by visual disturbances

Like the aura correct

Yes

What could be causing these on and off for a few days or weeks and then stop

Just an uptick in your migraines and also from the fact that you aren't taking any medications for them

For now you can take some magnesium supplements that might help

I'll be happy to continue the conversation here if you need but first click on the 5 star excellent rating icon

no concerns from the auras themselves

No, not at all