Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physcian at John Muir Medical Group
101446932

Can confusion and talking non stop could be symptoms of heat

Can confusion and talking non stop could be symptoms of heat exhaustion? For example if someone is delirious from a high fever and start talking out of their heads. Could that be a sign of heat exhaustion
JA: What are all their symptoms? Have they talked to a doctor about the fever?
Customer: I got too hot at work yesterday. I could not stop sweating and I had this headache all day as well. The more I drank water the more thirstier I got. Later in the evening it got worse, could not stop sweating, I was feeling tired and exhausted, and I would feel lightheaded and the dizzy at times. I was so hot and my I could feel my face was real warm like I had a fever. I was out of it and I was talking non stop, This I never experienced before and want to know if these symptoms that I had are related to heat exhaustion
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the fever?
Customer: No not yet, does it sound like I had heat exhaustion?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, I just want to know if that is heat exhaustion that I described.

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you have suffered from these symptoms. Yes, based upon your description, you appear to have suffered heat exhaustion. Hopefully, you are feeling better today. Drinking plenty of fluids (especially electrolyte fluids) will help you recover quickly.

The best ways to prevent this in the future, is to drink lots of fluids before, during, and after working. Especially, if it's going to be a hot day. I hope you feel better soon. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts, or questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had a headache all day yesterday and last night, this morning had had the headache again and I still feel queasy and lightheaded. I took some ALEVE earlier but it's too soon to take anymore. What can I do to get rid the headache?

Unfortunatley, a headache caused by heat exhaustion is unlikely to resolve with pain relievers. The headache will, on the other hand, respond to lots of fluids (water, Gatorade, powerade, etc).

Heat exhaustion is primarily causes dehydration, which causes a headache. Correcting the dehydration is the key,