Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had light-headed/dizziness for about three months.

Slightly numb fingers sometimes and...
I have had light-headed/dizziness for about three months. Slightly numb fingers sometimes and occasional muscle weakness.All blood tests normal, ear normal, CT brain normal, eyes normal. From all normal doctors.Went to chiropractor yesterday and again today. He pulled out my x-ray from yesterday and saw some thoracic scoliosis and loss of lordosis on the C-spine. Also something about C1 I think going in towards the esophagus or something.Could these be causing these symptoms? Or should I get checked for MS or anything else.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of the symptoms as you have described above, and I am also sorry for the delay in replying to you, please see this is being a 24 X 7 online service so different experts may log in to the site at different times, I just logged in to the site and saw your question has still not been answered and I am now replying to you immediately as soon as I have logged in to the site just now. Thank you for your waiting & patience.

Coming to the discussion of your health situation, and to answer your question – “Could these be causing these symptoms? Or should I get checked for MS or anything else?”

Please see, at the outset I want to inform and reassure you it does not appear you are having any serious neurological conditions causing these symptoms such as MS etc

Also this is not how other serious neurological conditions such as brain tumors or strokes or bleeding etc too present

Conditions such as MS, or brain tumors, stroke or bleeding etc are expected to present with certain very prominent & persistent symptoms such as the following ones;

For example MS presents with certain very prominent symptoms such as the following ones;

a) Loss of vision in one eye

b) Severe blurring of vision in one eye

c) Double vision

d) Paralysis of the limb muscles on one side

e) Paralysis of facial muscles (facial droop) on one side

f) Loss of sensation on one side

g) Drooping of eye lid on one side

h) Bladder disturbances such as incontinence or retention

i) Gait ataxia/Unsteadiness while walking etc

Not necessarily all these above symptoms are experienced by the same patient, but to suspect MS the presence of at least some of the above symptoms are necessary. But you have not mentioned any such symptoms; in the absence of the above mentioned symptoms MS is certainly unlikely in you.

Stroke too presents somewhat similar to MS, the main difference being stroke symptoms come on more rapidly than MS, but the symptoms of both MS and stroke are similar, but since you have not mentioned any of the above types of symptoms so this rules out the possibility of both MS and stroke

Conditions such as brain tumor generally presents with the following symptoms;

a) Persistent or progressively worsening headaches, especially localized or generalized and more prominent in early morning

b) Persistent or progressively worsening nausea and vomiting

c) Seizures, focal in onset with or without secondary generalization (such as grand-mal type seizures)

d) Fainting/passing out etc

The earlier mentioned symptoms under MS and stroke too may occur with brain tumors

But it does not appear you are having the above types of symptoms - so brain tumors too appears very unlikely in you.

And coming to conditions such as brain bleeding, this condition presents with acute stroke type of symptoms along with excruciatingly severe headaches along with severe nausea/vomiting, fainting etc, but once again you haven not mentioned any such symptoms and this indicates even bleeding too is unlikely

As you see the symptoms you have been having are not pointing towards any serious neurological issues.

The above types of symptoms you have been having in the form of light-headedness/dizziness, slightly numb fingers, occasional muscle weakness are most often not indicative of any serious illnesses because any serious illness is unlikely going to cause intermittent symptoms like this, and also with serious health conditions the earlier mentioned additional more prominent symptoms too are expected to be present.

Since you have been having these symptoms and a firm precise final diagnosis has not already been made so you may try to see a neurologist so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic and after the neurological examination the neurologist will make a decision whether any further neurological workup is necessary or not, for example whether there is any need for a brain MRI scan etc. The neurologist will also examine your x ray films and check for the issue you have mentioned about the C1 going towards the esophagus issue the chiro dr has mentioned to you, this needs further evaluation too, along with the other findings too that are seen in the x ray.

I assume you have already had blood tests to check for the following conditions;

a) Thyroid

b) Anemia

c) Infections/lyme

d) Electrolytes

e) Liver

f) Kidney

g) Inflammation

h) Vitamin deficiency etc

If these conditions have not been already ruled out then blood tests are needed to explore these possibilities too, if these have already been done then there is no need to repeat these blood tests again. But as mentioned earlier too serious possibilities do not appear the cause for your symptoms

Once again to your main question, please see the types of symptoms you have been having is not suspicious for any serious neurological or brain conditions such as MS, brain tumors, or stroke or brain bleeding etc, if you have not seen a neurologist already then please try to see one so that this can be further evaluated, examined and investigated as mentioned previously, but these symptoms most likely are not representative of any serious neurological or brain conditions such as the ones mentioned earlier above (MS, brain tumors, stroke, bleeding etc), so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

This is my Just Answer direct link;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsubbannamd

no problem...did my pictures of the X-ray go over?

No, I have not received any x ray pictures.

hmm I try to attach the picture and some red bar shows up. won't go over

Please take your time, I will study the x ray when I receive it.

okay I'll try a laptop

Yes, please.

doesn't seem to work, not even on a laptop...code is wrong and get a java script issues after upload.
is there an email address to send it?

I am sorry to hear you are facing some technical glitch. You may please contact the company directly and they will help you with this.

Everything is pretty messed up...I am doing everything right. He said send it to the support email and let him know then he left the conversation while I was typing...hopefully they can pull them for you. It has my customer question number attached.

Sorry to hear about the technical glitch. All technical issues & glitches are handled directly by the company, so you did the right thing of contacting them. When I receive the x ray from them I will study the film and follow up with you asap.

my goodness, they closed chat now and cancelled my monthly subscription. Zero clue what's going on, I've waited hours for this conversation. Nothing works, had to pay for this question, can't post pictures, cancelled my membership after the guy said it shouldn't have happened. Not your fault but this is pretty terrible.
I guess forget the pictures, if you can answer the question I guess I will move on. Won't be using this again anyway. Been sitting at the computer for 3 hours now

I am sorry to hear all these terrible things are happening, I earnestly hope the company will be able to fix all these technical glitches very soon.

Have you received my initial detailed answer I had posted earlier?

Do you want me to post my initial detailed answer again? It appears you have not received it too? Am I right?

I just saw it, didn't see it sorry...reading now

Once again sorry for the technical glitches. I am glad you are able to see it now. Please take your time.

Thank you for the answer...one quick question. Can scoliosis of the thoracic spine, And loss of cervical lordosis cause any of this?

You are very welcome! Please see, thoracic spine issue such as scoliosis of the thoracic spine is unlikely to cause symptoms in the fingers in the form of numbness or dizziness etc

But the cervical spine problems rarely cause symptoms such as numbness in the fingers and dizziness etc, so this needs further evaluation

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Okay thank you.

You are very welcome! My pleasure!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD