Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have osteoarthritis, have had a total knee replacement…

Customer Question
I have osteoarthritis, have...

I have osteoarthritis, have had a total knee replacement several years ago, suffering with pain and swelling in knee. Can the arthritis affect the joint causing the discomfort (& pain)?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?

Swelling to varied extents since replacement depending on activity, discomfort/stiffness constant since replacement. Discomfort constant, pain seems to be related to pain in other joints. No anti swelling medications, have back and neck problems with some pressure on nerves and take Lyrica (not diabetic) to turn down the nerve pain from that. Blood pressure medications, and have had thyroid removed and take synthroid to replace.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the nerve pain?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think they know it all. In Mayo system here, have had joint debridement in both elbows with nerve relocated through elbows to help with numbness in hands. I really am curious about the arthritis if it can or what it would do with the replaced knee.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/11/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

have you been tested for gout?

had once many years ago but recently tested and no gout.

Okay

what does your surgeon say?

Surgeon just says "you have been too tough on it". No one (surgeon/family practitioner) can tell me why I keep fighting the swelling & discomfort and I am curious if the arthritis can affect a replaced joint? I have the original knee cap on the knee. Can a person be allergic to the titanium metals used in the joint?

Yes, you can be sensitive to the metals

I would get a blood cobalt and chromium levels done

also the fluid needs to be extracted and tested for pseudogout

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Will see if they will, have had fluids extracted and tested for (?) a crystalline arthritic condition of some sort - can remember for sure what it was called. thank you.

Yes, pseudogout

they test for crystals in general

that is all

Thanks for this question.
I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have any more questions, just reply. :)