Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question for an ENT

Hello I have a question...
Hello I have a question for an ENT
6/11/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will try to assist you today.

What can I help you with?

For about 15 months now I have a been experiencing what seems to be sinus pain pain and pressure behind my eyes the bridge of my nose and sometimes the top of my cheeks and when I touch along my eyebrows it's really sore and the top corners of my checks are sore if I gently press. Every so often it feels sometimes like the tops of my cheeks are numb.Its constant all day every day it's not so much pain as just a really uncomfortable weird feeling and I feel congested a lot. I also have a fullness in my ear on the right side only. I have had it though for many years and a scan from my dentist showed the right side of my jaw is basically just flattened out because of my nighttime grinding. My ear does feel worse lately since I've had the sinus pressure. One year ago the doctor did the camera up my nose and he did find a small nasal polyp on one side that he biopsied and it was benign .I was doing the Neti pot two times a day for a few months and doterra essential oil's in a humidifier but nothing really helps. I haven't taken any medication, I've done Saline spray's but once again nothing really helps.My concern and number one question is could it be something more serious???.... or would that have been seeing last June when he did the nasal camera?I did have a really bad bout of anxiety for two years after my mom passed away and I still do have it but on a much lower level. I'm wondering if that could cause consistent daily sinus pressure and pain? I just need to be reassured that it's nothing more serious as I cannot get into see my ENT for another two months.

This is likely nothing very serious as it would have probably be seen with the camera. It sounds like you have allergies and chronic sinus issues which are rarely an urgent issue.

Anxiety can often cause headaches so that might be related, although probably unlikely.

If you are only using saline sprays you should add Flonase 2 sprays in each nostril once daily. This has been proven to help people with allergies and chronic sinus issues. It doesn't work immediately, so stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks. Use that while you wait to see your ENT. Hope that helps.

I forgot to mention I was having the dizziness wobbly like I'm on a boat feeling and I did get a brain scan last August and it showed healthy full and clear

That is good. Sometimes bad sinus/ear issues can cause some vertigo/dizziness. The clean brain scan is encouraging.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

The brain CT scan was done in the ER would that also show my sinuses?

It partly shows the sinuses, but it is not as detailed. When you see your ENT you may need a sinus CT specifically depending on what he sees in your nose.

Also could this sudden onset of the sinus problem the fact that it's lasted 15 months and it's relentless alllll day every day, is that common? Is there anything more serious a nasal camera wouldn't see? He said my sinuses looked fine except the benign polyp

This is unfortunately common for people with chronic sinusitis. The camera would see anything more serious, however it was done some time ago. It would be important to monitor the polyp so I am glad you are seeing an ENT in a couple months.

Can the polyp turn into cancer? And then last question the weird sort of numbness I feel around the cheeks is that the sinuses too?

If you had a polyp only on one side there is a very small chance that it could turn into cancer which is why it should be monitored. But you would probably only have symptoms on one side if that was the case.

Yes, sometimes sinus issues can cause numbness.

Ok thank you

My pleasure!

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thanks!

I will do the rating now thank youbut I do have one final question I remember reading along time ago in a polyp on just one side of the nose was more dangerous than having them on both side that's not true corre yes I will do the rating now thank you but I do have one final question I remember reading while ago rhat t a polyp on just one side of the nose was more dangerous than having them on both side that's not true ?

It's not more dangerous but whenever it is only on one side there is a small chance that the benign polyp can become cancerous which is why we usually monitor the polyp or completely remove the polyp to be sure.

How often do you recommend monitoring it?

Usually every 6 months or so.

how likely is it that it will turn into cancer? I'm
A 46 year old female...and I promise this IS my last question!

Usually less than 10% chance. If you were my patient, I would have probably removed the polyp completely when I first saw you.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
The polyp was first found three years ago and he did a biopsy and a CT scan of my sinuses and then one year ago I went for my sinus issue.... when he first found a polyp I wasn't having sinus problems now I feel a little worried he didn't remove it

We will have to see what the ENT finds in your nose at your appointment.

But the appointment is not for another two months should I demand getting in sooner?
But the appointment is not for letting another two months should I demand getting in sooner?

You can try, or find another ENT. Two months is probably fine, but to be safe I would get an appointment sooner than that.