Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What to do about bruise on lower leg below knee, senior

What to do about...

What to do about bruise on lower leg below knee, senior person. bruise seems to be going away little by little; tenderness (they say) when touched in that area.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

1. firmly touching the area; sometimes when walking (he says) "not as much now" (he says different things); laying down is better. has had (per dr.) known fatty lipomas in areas around same leg(knee); so the puffiness in that area seems like the other. ? no redness.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

OA in knee for some time; "has had some injections yr. ago; decided not to continue that. some fall in past months/years. (a toe overlap problem; other opposide side knee tkr.

6/11/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

OK.

Is that leg (with the bruise) considerable more swollen than his other leg?

no. there is puffy in bruise area; (similar ? to puffy higher up above the bruise - fatlipoma area) however, r. leg is generally narrower than other leg-with-tkr.
thanks for reply.

OK, thank you.

Issues to be wary of after a bruise to the leg would be an infection -- which would be increasing pain, swelling, and redness in the area of injury.

One would also worry about "DVT" -- a blood clot that can cause swelling of the leg and pain:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/deep-vein-thrombosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352557

If those don't apply in this situation, then you probably can expect that the bruise will continue to improve over the course of 2-3 weeks.

how would I know if itsa fracture? or not?

If there was a fracture in that area -- he probably would have severe pain when placing weight on that leg.

If that were the case, xrays would be done of the leg to evaluate for fracture.

that's what I thought; however, am finding myself worrying a lot.. (unnecessarily?) they seemed generally ok after a fall or two in the past - walking, etc (not sure how accurate they are in relaying pain information); they were far from their pcp office during one time; now curious what was (at the time) appropriate: dr. appt; or Emer. room; or urg. care. now, also curious what IS (currently) appropriate : dr. appt - or Emr. room; or urg. care center. -
or none of those needed - (stay 'safely' at home - ) observation etc. only....

I think watching safely at home would be appropriate at this point.

maybe so. don't know why I am worrying/thinking so much about this - wanting their situation to be better for them... perhaps. perhaps i'm the next pt. for an appt. anyhow, thanks for your time. (we've had a few health related family stressors over the past few years - including some one no longer with us.)

I think you are doing a very good job being vigilant -- watching for any complications in this person.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
the senior person I've been concerned about has had limp/or unsteady walking for some time, so it is not always simple to know when there is change in their walking/discomfort/etc. since they probably havn't been walking normall nor free of discomforts for some time.- with the other factors. it perhaps will be up to their doctor - whether to have an xray done or not, and when. a phys. ther. person was sent to him for a evaluation once. not same as xray; perhaps they know quite a bit. unless pt. of concern has had further bumps or injury since then - stumbles. etc. It difficult when a person-of-concern is visiting away from home for a few days or so; and their dr. is not nearer by...

Well, hopefully they can bring up these concerns at their next doctor's visit -- as unsteady walking can come from hip or knee issues, foot issues, lower back "pinched nerve" issues -- a number of different things which can be evalauted.

sure. helping someone up after a fall - right then - seems to be the time to get all the questions or examination done - if possible. waiting leaves one with a number of concerning questions. or if bruise appears - without knowing if it was related to an injury or fall 0 or just a simple bump into a chair. or 'easy bruising' tendencies. thanks for your time. sounds like you are saying that there is time (safely) to wait and address any concerns with dr. at this point. urgency versus stable situation to be observed and dealt with calmly in upcoming week/s or month, etc. thanks again Dr. Mark - for hearing the concerns. appreciated.
bye
what is recommended healthcare follow-up after a "fall" - when unsure/no obvious injury and ? cause.

Well, one would want to make sure there isn't a medical reason for the fall (low blood pressure "syncope", balance issues "ataxia") vs. just being clumsy and tripping over an object.

Also you would want to be on the lookout for issues potentially related to the fall itself -- trauma that can cause pain, issues with bloodclots "DVT".

okay, so, a trip to the emergency room would be indicated or appropriate; generally speaking - considering it (fall) could be anytime of day or night, or weekend...incident. and, perhaps not moving them before knowing if there is injury/problem that they could not get up safely. so?ambulance.
now, this is basically 'good-to-know' for situations that may occur going forward.

A serious fall -- causing pain (or weakness) so much that you can't walk would be a reason to go to the ER.

Other falls probably could wait until you can see your primary care doctor next.