Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My fingers and palm have been swelling on both hands, it…

Second opinion] My fingers and...
Second opinion] My fingers and palm have been swelling on both hands, it gets very hot and red, gets really tight and puffyJA: How long have you had the puffiness? Have you used any medication for it?Customer: For about a week, i have taken benadryl amd it goes doqn but comes back again the next dayJA: Have you seen a doctor about the puffiness?Customer: NoJA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?Customer: I missed my last period and thought i could be pregnant but i have taken 3 tests and have all been negative
6/12/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering from hand swelling, redness, and pain. Your description of the symptoms is most consistent with a rare diagnosis called "Erythromelalgia." This is a condition in which a person immune system will cause inflammation and swelling of the hands in response to heat exposure, stress, physical activities, etc. This is not an infection, but the triggers can be identified with careful observation.

We do not not know why certain people develop this issue. While it cannot be cured, the triggers can be avoided. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions that I can answer for you.

Could this be why my period is late?

That's a good question. Erythromelalgia typically does not effect the menstrual cycle. Yet, inflammation in the body and the associated stress can cause a period to be delayed.

I am birth control and i have not missed my period since i have been on it. I have had unprotected sex a few times in the month and have had some spotting. I threw up one morning, have been having stomach cramps and nausea, havent been feeling like myself, i have struggled with my hormones being very low which is why they put me on birth control. I have had 3 negative tests but i am not sure accurate they are.

Ok, I can understand your concern. Its good that you are birth control, as the risk of pregnancy would remain low as long as the pills are taken as prescribed. On the other hand, urine pregnancy tests can be inaccurate within the first 5 weeks of pregnancy. If you prefer not to wait a few more weeks to know of sure, you can visit a local urgent care and request blood testing. The blood testing is the most accurate way to determine if your pregnant at this point.

Does this condition cause any other part of the body to do this? My heel was all red and tingly and hot and swollen today also

Usually the hands are the most common place, but the feet are the second most common site. It's rare for this condition to occur elsewhere on the body.

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD