Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I noticed that my right thumb appears to be "popping" with…

Good morning. I noticed...

Good morning. I noticed that my right thumb appears to be "popping" with minimal discomfort. After some self diagnosing via the internet, I believe that I may have a "trigger thumb". So I purchased a thumb splint. I'm not sure if I should follow up with my primary care doctor as this seems very minor

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the discomfort? Have you used any medication for it?

Sorry about that, the thumb splint is problematic with typing on the key board. I have had the pain for 2 days. I haven't taken anything

Doctor's Assistant: What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?

Migraines

6/11/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom? swelling?
Any other past illness? injury?
Did you take any medicine?

48 Black Female, 2 days, minimal discomfort near the top digit when I move it. It appears to pop. no other past symptoms. Past illness: history of migraines, high BP. Taking Olmesatten Medoximil 20mg for BP. Nothing for the thumb

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.
Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There can be a few causes for the pain, popping.
There can be mild inflammation of joint, tendon.
Trigger finger can occur from inflammation of synovial sheath & tendon..
There can be restriction of movement of tendon from inflammation.
Rest to the part is needed initially.
Splint can be used.
Stretching exercise can be done after the pain decreases.
Antiinflammatory analgesics like Motrin or Naproxen can be used to reduce pain and inflammation.
They are usually used first.
But with history of high BP, antiinflammatory medicines may be a problem.
You can take Tylenol for reducing pain.
Warm application will be soothing.
Sometimes, steroid injection can be needed to reduce the inflammation.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Thank you

You are always welcome.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards