Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I weigh in 55kg, 176cm tall and I'm a 22 year old male. I…

I weigh in 55kg...

I weigh in 55kg, 176cm tall and I'm a 22 year old male. I lack appetite and therefore lack the energy and struggle to wake up in the morning.

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

No, I have never used any medication of any type for anything before.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Dont think so

6/10/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...according your height - you should be at lease 72-74 kilos.

Your BMI is 17.756 which is falling under the under weight category.

I need some more information please.

1. Is there any family history of acid peptic disease or gastritis?

2. Have you been diagnosed to have EBV or mononucleosis at any point of time?

3. Is there any family history of lean stature and poor appetite or only you please?

4. Are you experiencing any recurrent fever or joint pains?

5. May I know your gender please?

6. When was you last thyroid status checked?

7. Has this loss of appetite been a recent one or since long?

8. Do you have recurrent loose stools or formed stools (more frequently)?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

1. Is there any family history of acid peptic disease or gastritis? Not that I'm aware of.
2. Have you been diagnosed to have EBV or mononucleosis at any point of time? No.3. Is there any family history of lean stature and poor appetite or only you please? My father is slim built.4. Are you experiencing any recurrent fever or joint pains? Back pain sometimes.5. May I know your gender please?
Male.
6. When was you last thyroid status checked? 3+ years ago. I do get throat infections sometimes.7. Has this loss of appetite been a recent one or since long? Long time. I've weighed 55kg since I was 16.8. Do you have recurrent loose stools or formed stools (more frequently)? Formed.Thanks,
Paulo
Hi Paulo,
Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.
From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you, I feel that these are the possibilities -
1. Your genetic makeup is like this to be thin built. At the same time it could be the same reason for which you may not be having good amount of appetite as the hypothalamus in your brain is programmed to consume only this much food for this much built body. As it is genetically predisposed I do not think we can change it but at the same time I reassure you that it need not be worried about us something pathological also.2. The second possibility is hyperthyroidism wherein you maybe secreting more amount of thyroid hormones which are making you pass frequent formed stools and this could be the reason why you may not be gaining weight appropriately.
But I am putting this as a second possibility only because in such case you will be having good amount of successive appetite which is not the case with you.
3. Third and the least possibility is, you could be having a chronic viral infection like EBV which might have resulted in chronic fatigue syndrome.
If you are still in doubt you can get a blood test called a EBV VCA IGM which is a very simple bun and we will have a diagnosis in hand. Even if the IgG or IgM antibodies in turn out to be positive you need not worry about this because it is a self limiting viral infection and would not cause any problems.But I suggest that you go ahead with the investigation with your physicians help and if it turns out to be positive then we can talk about Chronic fatigue syndrome which is one of the possibilities please.4. The last possibility is an undetected Diabetes mellitus which could be a Juvenile type of diabetes mellitus.
Show in total you need to be getting a complete physical examination along with thyroid function test, fasting and random blood sugar along with a urine sugar test and the above viral test which I have suggested." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi..I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.