Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A little over a year ago, I started taking a

Hello. A little...

Hello. A little over a year ago, I started taking a progesterone-only birth control pill to control painful periods. Since then I've experienced very bad acne - which I think is from the pill. So, about two weeks ago I switched to a more typical birth control pill that has progesterone and estrogen and one of the side affects (benefits) of this pill is that it should help acne. However, every day I'm waking up with new pimples! Any ideas? (I am 19 years old by the way). Thank you!

Doctor's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you used birth control pills? When did your last period begin?

I started a little over a year ago but I skip the placebo pills to avoid having my period, but I still get it about every 6-8 weeks or so

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take an anti-anxiety medication -

6/9/2018
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

I​'m sorry to hear that you have been dealing with medication induced acne. Given that you were on the progesterone only medication for 1 year +, its normal for its side effects to take 4-8 weeks to resolve.

So, even though you switched to the combo birth control pill, it still may take a few more weeks for the effects of the progesterone only pill to subside. Please give things a bit more time, and you will start to notice improvement.

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.

Do you think that I should stop taking the new pill with both estrogen and progesterone altogether for a while (like a month or so)? Is there just too much progestering in my body, or would that make things worse, and I should continue with my current pill?
it seems like I'm getting new pimples more often. Is this also normal?

Y​es, you should continue with the current pill as prescribed. If things continue to worsen beyond 8 weeks after ending the progesterone pill, you can stop the current pill for 30 days. Its normal for the effects of the progesterone only pill to still be ongoing at this point. So, having more pimples is not unusual.

Got it; Thank you so much! Very helpful!!!

You're welcome. Take care.

Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD