Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

2 months ago I had a rapid strep test done and it came back…

2 months ago I...

2 months ago I had a rapid strep test done and it came back positive. A week later still had signs of strep and put on another week of antibiotics. About 2 weeks after that tonsils still swollen and was sent to a ent that put me on a mild steroid to see if the swelling would go down. Went in for follow up at ent and told them it did nothing and that now my tongue burns and that my gums have been burning on lower part of jaw as well. The taste buds under tongue have been inflamed since taking the steroids. And all the doc said was that my tonsils need to be removed. The burning of my tongue and gums on lower mouth have been happening for 3 weeks and I don’t know if I need to see my dentist or go back to my primary care provider. But any suggestions of what it could be? I am at a lose and no one seems to be concerned when I mention it.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries, swelling of what the tonsils? Or tongue?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have told them everything. Even had a std test done to see if anything would come back and it was all negative

6/8/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hello...I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have just now come online and will be happy to help you now. I am currently reviewing your question and will be back in a moment.

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...May I request you to upload an image with tongue protruding out and wide open mouth (without flash) so that I can have a look at your throat and get back to you please.

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Tried to get clearer photos but those are the best I could get
The salivary glands under the tongue have been irritated feeling and sometimes are bright red when I’ve done a lot of talking. But then sometimes they are just normal flesh color.
Hi... I have seen the images and thank you for the requested necessary information.I am sorry to say that I do not see the back of the throat and the tonsils region as it is very dark in the image.But from your symptom analysis image of the oral cavity along with the history I feel that this could be epstein barr virus infection.
This is especially so keeping the chronicity and time period of your symptoms in mind.
My suggestion for you will be -
1. Get yourself tested for ebstein Barr virus by blood test EBV VCA IGM.
2. Even if it turns out to be positive you need not worry as it is a self limiting infection.
3. But the advantage is that we know what is happening and we can be at peace in mind.
4. Salt gargling With warm water 3 times a day will be a lot of help.
5. I am happy but it is not any fungal infection of the mouth which is serious." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Have a appointment set up with my GP in a few days. Thank you for the assistance at the time.

Hi..I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani