Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been at a waterpark for 3 days climbing a large number…

I’ve been at a...

I’ve been at a waterpark for 3 days climbing a large number of stairs. Today my left leg is completely swollen and slightly grey-ish. No other symptoms and I’ve never had issues before. Climbing the 8 story tower was obviously putting a strain on my muscles. Can overuse cause the entire leg to swell? It hurts mildly but mainly just due to the extreme tightness caused by the inflammation.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Elevation/ice helps mildly. Swelling is my complaint.

6/6/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Did you have any injury to that leg?

How old are you?

Is that leg painful?

No injury apart from feeling muscle fatigue during the climbing. I am 34 year old female.
No pain apart from quite severe tightness due to the inflammation. I can feel some pain when I try to stretch my calf and hamstring muscles (the pain expected after a leg workout.

OK.

I would ask that you get to see your doctor for further testing.

One thing they would want to rule out would be a potential for a blood clot in the leg, called a "DVT":

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/deep-vein-thrombosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352557

You wouldn't expect that overuse of the leg would cause one leg to swell (with the other leg normal -- you used both legs to climb the tower).

Another thing to rule out would be potential infection in the leg (if you had open cuts and getting into the waterpark with potentially "dirty" water).

But the extreme swelling and pain is concerning, so please get this evaluated in person. They will likely order an ultrasound of the legs to rule out this blood clot.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
I just want to thank you. I went straight to the hospital after your last response and turns out I had a large DVT which had already moved to become a bilateral PE. I had absolutely no risk factors (apart from taking birth control pills) and no prior symptoms before that morning. I was in hospital for 4 days and discharged yesterday to return to Canada (my home country). I was alone with my 2 very young children on this vacation and had I not taken your advice things could have been really, really bad. So thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It saved my life.

Thank you for the update, and I'm very glad they caught this in time, as you are right - a bilateral PE is a very dangerous condition.

Get well soon!