Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a botox recently and I'm sure procedure was not done…

Hello, I had a...

Hello, I had a botox recently and I'm sure procedure was not done in proper sterile enviroment. The vial was not sealed, botox was obviously reused and I'm worried if the vial was contaminated. Can you tell me what are the chances of blood borne viruses (especially hcv) survival in botulinum toxin solution?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Sure

In relation to HIV it is very difficult for this to happen as the hiv cannot survive without blood i.e. when it is submitted to the outside or the environment dies within 5 min approximately,
The use of Botox in many places is reused, but if it was used by a safe professional it avoided using the patient's injection to take the botox, normally some doctors only extract the dose they are going to use, this does not represent a risk if it is only extracted since the injection they are using to place it is not introduced.
In this sense, it is very unlikely that an infection could occur so you can rest assured, but I remind you that this must be done by professionals otherwise you can not ensure its correct use.

Any question?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask. I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.

If hypotheticaly vial was contaminated I am interested to know if for example hepatitis c can survive in botox solution, considering that botox is toxin.

It is extremely difficult for that to happen because Botox is not a substance that allows any virus to survive, the only way is that immediately after contaminating the botox solution it is applied instantly otherwise it is not possible.
To date, there have been no reports of botox and infection cases.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Thank you doctor

you're welcome.