Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mothers leg has been swollen for 19 years after having…

Customer Question
My mothers leg has...

My mothers leg has been swollen for 19 years after having me. Her leg is really pale and swollen. At times it is very painful. How can we go about getting her leg seen about. SHe has went to various vein care people but they cant find a cause is there anyway that she suffers due to my birth? What type of doctor should we see in order to treat it? Is there anyway to reduce the swelling and her leg go back to the normal size

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the swelling? Have you used any medication for it?

My mother has had it for approximately 19 years, since she gave birth to me at the age of 36. She has not been diagnosed because the doctors say they do not know what is wrong with it. I am a medical student and this is my diagnosis in which I am 99 percent sure this is what she suffers from

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?

I am not sure

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a history with high blood pressure, diabetes, heartattack, and stroke run in my family

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your mothers leg

diabetes can cause damage to blood vessels in the legs and cause poor circulation

she would benefit from seeing a vascular surgeon

she should get a doppler ultrasound scan of the leg or angiogram of the leg to check for narrowing of blood vessels in the leg.

let me know if you have questions.