Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The bottom of my toe is swollen and red. I think I stepped…

The bottom of my...

The bottom of my toe is swollen and red. I think I stepped on something but I can't see anything. the bottom of toe is very painful to the touch

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

So far I have been soaking in warm water in the morning its helped a bit but not alot

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No it really feels like I stepped on something. it feels like when you have a sliver

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/5/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

This is Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

How old are you? How long are you having this pain and swelling? Do you have a picture?

Iam 68 and its been like this for 3 days.
no, I cant AFFORD THAT

Please ignore this automatic system request. We can talk here in chat.

Are you able to take picture? You can upload here using file/clip icon.

idont know how to send a photo

You can attach your picture using file/clip icon in this chat box.

I don't know how to do that I cant access "file/clip"
are you getting the photo?

Received it.

Thanks!

I see the red and swollen area. There is an opening as well, may be pus or discharge is coming out. There is some bulging as well which may have pus collected inside.

How severe is the pain? Do you have fever?

the bulge was me trying to see if something was in there. I did that this morning after soaking foot in hot water when I pulled it out the skin was in a round circle and white. I though b trying to open it it would draw out any stuff that would be in there. only a little bit came out before I couldn't ' take the pain of squeezing it
no fever
I really think something is in there but I don't know if the soaking will draw it out

Thanks for the information.

The area is certainly infected as we see redness, discharge, and pain. If there is no foreign body and abscess has not formed, then you can manage it by using OTC neosporin. However, if there is something inside, it will not go away as it has to be removed. You can try neosporin and clean the area with antiseptic solution and see if you feel better. If no recovery, or you develop more pain and fever, then visit you PCP for proper examination.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.

Please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Thanks Doc. After soaking in the moring i have out neosporin and a bandiad on it. it it doesn't get better i will have to go to the doctor.
Thanks for your help
Sam McCall

You are welcome!

Thanks for visiting justanswer.