Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to understand what lymphocyte percentage and…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to understand what lymphocyte percentage and lymphocyte absolute mean. What does a Lymphocyte percent of 25% and an lymphocyte absolute of 1.3 10*9/L indicate?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I have severe joint pain, weakness and sometimes stif, swelling of hands and feet, rash across face and sometimes on other parts of the body, pain in neck and feet, strong heart palpitations and chest tightness with it hard to breath, I often feel achy all over. I also have an enlarged lymph node in neck that is being monitored.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

There is a family history of cancer, stroke, dementia. I have been diagnosed with an arrhythmia, autonomic dysfunction with postural tachycardia and orthostatic tachycardia, high and low blood pressure, severe daily migraines, they suspect an autoimmune disease (lupus, Sjogren's) and have a positive ANA, homogeneous pattern and an elevated titer.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hypothyroidism, acquired nystagmus, benign brain tumor, autonomic neuropathy, a MTHFR gene mutation, and possible Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
6/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The percentage is only important to be able to calculate the absolute count, and that is true for all the various types of white blood cells.

The total white blood cell count (WBC) is the sum of five common types of white blood cells, and an occasional other type of white blood cell. When the lab performs a CBC (complete blood count), it measures the total WBC and the percentage of each type of white blood cell. Multiplying the total SBC by the respective percentage will give the absolute count for each type of white blood cell.

Although a normal range can be stated for the percentage of each type of WBC, the percentage is not as important, because the percentage may change, even when the absolute count is constant. For example, if the number of lymphocytes remains the same (the absolute lymphocyte count), but the number of neutrophils increases, then the percentage of lymphocytes will decrease. Similarly, if the neutrophil count decreases, the percentage of lymphocytes will increase. So, the percentage is not as useful as reviewing the absolute count for each of the different types of WBC, comparing the value to the normal range for that type of WBC.

In your case, the absolute lymphocyte count of 1.3 10^9/L is normal. Although the normal range for lymphocyte absolute count will vary slightly between labs, it is generally about 1.0 - 3.5. A normal lymphocyte count does not indicate anything in the context of an evaluation for autoimmune disorders.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

I have a swollen lymph node in my neck, so I believe also the reason for the test

A normal lymphocyte count also does not mean anything in the context of a swollen lymph node. Although the most common cause of a swollen lymph node in the neck is a viral infection, and a viral infection will frequently affect the lymphocyte count, there are many cases of viral infections in which the lymphocyte count is normal.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?